Re: [Marbling] Introduction

  • John Ang Cheng Siew
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
      Welcome to the list.

      I was also fortunate to have met Mr Valese in Venice. We found his shop
      while holidaying there. At that time I only had a passing interest in
      marbling. We struck a conversation about his work and he was kind enough to
      invite my wife and I to his studio where he demostrated marbling to us. He
      did a piece of Italian vien and on that he did some flower design. I got to
      keep that marbled paper. From that time onwards I found great interest in
      marbling.

      I believe Alberto using tragacanth gum for his size and he doesn't alum his
      paper. I forgot to ask him what type of paint he uses. Do you have any idea?

      Mr Valese shop is at Venice, S.Marco - Campo S. stefano 3471
      P.S. He has a pet dog call sumi.

      At 05:09 PM 31-03-2000 +0200, you wrote:
      > Hello to everyone on the list. My housband and J have created a web
      >site regarding marbled paper: www.lemarcheonline.net/venicepaper
      >Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute
      >to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us
      >his way of marbling.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      .
      .-P

      John Ang Cheng Siew
      My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
        Hi!
        I have been lurking for a couple of weeks - thanks to Diane Maurer for
        giving me the address! And thanks to all for their generous sharing of
        information. The 2002 date is on my calendar! I don't remember how I
        learned to marble - probably self taught, then a *very* basic "Intro to
        Marbling" class got added to the list of other classes I was teaching at the
        time - machine embroidery, quilting, embellishment. Each time I teach, I
        realize how much I don't know, and I am in total awe of the folks who do
        production marbling. I wish I had time for more marbling, and space for a
        permament set up. My goals are to do more marbling and work to incorporate
        that fabric with other commercial fabrics into my wearable art. I think it
        is great fun to add stitching to bring out some of the lines of the marbling
        design. Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
        can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
        carylhanc@...
      • D. Guffey
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
          Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
          >can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
          >Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
          >carylhanc@...

          Hi Caryl,

          Although I've never done a scarf as wide as 36" I think you could
          incorporate a method I found to do long scarfs that were too long to hold at
          both ends. Get a very, very thin flexible rod (one that will bend a bit
          without breaking.) The rod should be slightly longer than the width of the
          scarf (36"), insert a needle at each end (hammer in the needle carefully as
          to not break off the eye, the larger the needle the better). Assuming your
          scarfs are pre-hemmed, bend the rod and stretch the scarf between the two
          needles. The tension of the needle at the hem edge will hold the scarf
          taut. Do this for opposite end of the scarf. Now hold up the scarf by the
          two rods, it will dip in the middle, let the middle drop down on the
          marbling tank (it somewhat anchors it in place) and then gently lower the
          two edges with the rods.

          This explanation is perfectly clear in my mind, I just hope I've described
          it enough to make sense. If not, e-mail me with what isn't clear and I'll
          try to re-describe it.

          Good luck,

          d.guffey
        • D. Guffey
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 16, 2000
            At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
            >Hi, D. Guffey!
            >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
            >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
            >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
            >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
            >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
            >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
            >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
            >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
            >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
            >Thanks for writing!
            >Caryl Hancock, Indy

            Hi Caryl,

            One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
            the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
            One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
            will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
            By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
            down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
            ventured, nothing gained.

            Best of luck in your adventures,

            d.guffey
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 24 , May 2, 2002
              Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
              taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
              started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
              post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
              list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
              operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
              respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
              isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
              way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
              site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
              To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
              http://www.delphiforums.com/
              They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
              That---you need to go here:
              http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
              Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
              Thanks
              Jill

              > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
              > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
              > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
              > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
              > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
              > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

            • sixshort
                Message 7 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                  -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
                  do you get into the next bit -
                  forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
                  that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
                  are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
                  thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--