Introduction

  • ElizabethOrme
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
      Hello to everyone on the list.

      My housband and J have created a web site regarding marbled paper:

      Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us his way of marbling.
      We are not professionals and we are located in Italy.
      Our interest in decorated paper started in an old bookbinding shop where, for the first time, we saw woodengraved decorated paper ( xilography) and the traditional marbled ones.
      Since then we read many books among which we may suggest:

      Le papier maebré son histoire e sa fabrication     Doizy  Ipert

      Marbling Paper     Anne Chamber

      Marbled Paper   Richard J. Wolf

      Varieties of Spanish Marbling    Iris Nevins

      Since then we have lwasted a lot of paper, ox gall and colors.
      Starting off with caragheen moss, worked in the old way, we have ended up using methilcellulosa and from the beginning we have been using goeche: Maimeri and Lukas.
      We like doing spanish very much.
      The reference model was  " New Jersey Ripple" by Iris Nevins in her book " Variety of.....

      So thanks Jill for your invitation, we are now on the list.
    • John Ang Cheng Siew
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
        Welcome to the list.

        I was also fortunate to have met Mr Valese in Venice. We found his shop
        while holidaying there. At that time I only had a passing interest in
        marbling. We struck a conversation about his work and he was kind enough to
        invite my wife and I to his studio where he demostrated marbling to us. He
        did a piece of Italian vien and on that he did some flower design. I got to
        keep that marbled paper. From that time onwards I found great interest in
        marbling.

        I believe Alberto using tragacanth gum for his size and he doesn't alum his
        paper. I forgot to ask him what type of paint he uses. Do you have any idea?

        Mr Valese shop is at Venice, S.Marco - Campo S. stefano 3471
        P.S. He has a pet dog call sumi.

        At 05:09 PM 31-03-2000 +0200, you wrote:
        > Hello to everyone on the list. My housband and J have created a web
        >site regarding marbled paper: www.lemarcheonline.net/venicepaper
        >Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute
        >to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us
        >his way of marbling.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        .
        .-P

        John Ang Cheng Siew
        My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
      • carylhanc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
          Hi!
          I have been lurking for a couple of weeks - thanks to Diane Maurer for
          giving me the address! And thanks to all for their generous sharing of
          information. The 2002 date is on my calendar! I don't remember how I
          learned to marble - probably self taught, then a *very* basic "Intro to
          Marbling" class got added to the list of other classes I was teaching at the
          time - machine embroidery, quilting, embellishment. Each time I teach, I
          realize how much I don't know, and I am in total awe of the folks who do
          production marbling. I wish I had time for more marbling, and space for a
          permament set up. My goals are to do more marbling and work to incorporate
          that fabric with other commercial fabrics into my wearable art. I think it
          is great fun to add stitching to bring out some of the lines of the marbling
          design. Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
          can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
          carylhanc@...
        • D. Guffey
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 9, 2000
            Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
            >can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
            >Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
            >carylhanc@...

            Hi Caryl,

            Although I've never done a scarf as wide as 36" I think you could
            incorporate a method I found to do long scarfs that were too long to hold at
            both ends. Get a very, very thin flexible rod (one that will bend a bit
            without breaking.) The rod should be slightly longer than the width of the
            scarf (36"), insert a needle at each end (hammer in the needle carefully as
            to not break off the eye, the larger the needle the better). Assuming your
            scarfs are pre-hemmed, bend the rod and stretch the scarf between the two
            needles. The tension of the needle at the hem edge will hold the scarf
            taut. Do this for opposite end of the scarf. Now hold up the scarf by the
            two rods, it will dip in the middle, let the middle drop down on the
            marbling tank (it somewhat anchors it in place) and then gently lower the
            two edges with the rods.

            This explanation is perfectly clear in my mind, I just hope I've described
            it enough to make sense. If not, e-mail me with what isn't clear and I'll
            try to re-describe it.

            Good luck,

            d.guffey
          • D. Guffey
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 16, 2000
              At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
              >Hi, D. Guffey!
              >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
              >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
              >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
              >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
              >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
              >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
              >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
              >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
              >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
              >Thanks for writing!
              >Caryl Hancock, Indy

              Hi Caryl,

              One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
              the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
              One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
              will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
              By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
              down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
              ventured, nothing gained.

              Best of luck in your adventures,

              d.guffey
            • J Dolphin
              Message 6 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
                taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
                started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
                post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
                list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
                operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
                respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
                isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
                way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
                site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
                To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
                http://www.delphiforums.com/
                They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
                That---you need to go here:
                http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
                Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
                Thanks
                Jill

                > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
                > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
                > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
                > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
                > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
                > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

              • sixshort
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                    -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
                    do you get into the next bit -
                    forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
                    that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
                    are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
                    thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--