Alum and paper

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2003
      About alum: I've consulted several books, a tanner and a doctor who
      specializes in toxic effects on workers. Alum makes injuries like acids
      if handled a)by a sensitive person or b) in rather high concentration,
      one doesn't exclude the other. Try to buy it not powdered but
      crystallized, wear a mask if handling it dry and gloves when handling
      it in solution, barrier creams may not be sufficient.
      I don't use a mask but a thin cotton scarf folded several times and
      knotted around my face like John Wayne. For me as a paste paper maker
      that's sufficient, but then I need alum only in thin solution and once
      in a blue moon.
      This problem is nothing compared to what the tanners and dyers of old
      had to deal with - tannins in high concentration with nor protection at
      all and dirt, dust, germs, animal decay into the bargain. With
      predictable results.
      About base paper: try Hahnemühle Natural Line. It's cheaper than the
      Ingres, smoother and more obliging, feels thinner. Ilona Hesse of
      Leipzig, who is a third generation marbler, uses it as one of her
      stock-in-trades and says it works fine. It's conservation grade, and
      that's important to me as a restorer!
      Susanne Krause