paper

    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 15, 2003
      OK....we have a big problem. Classic Laid and Classic Linen, my old standby
      papers are now being buffered and the buffering...I believe calcium
      carbonate.... is neutralizing the alum. Colors run off. Myself and at least
      one other marbler I know have recently bought new cartons, I can tell after
      I alum there is a white talc like residue all around the boards. I have had
      a marbling disater with this paper....but then the next week it worked well
      enough to squeeze out a big order. The only change I made was aluming with
      a bigger wetter sponge....and suspect I wiped a lot of the CC off. Trying
      again today, comparing to last batch and another paper.

      SOOOO.....do NOT buy this paper any longer. What we would like to know here
      is what papers are people using for WATERCOLOR marbling specifically. I do
      not care about an acid free paper....maybe politically incorrect, but I
      know the old papers that were not acid free were so near neutral it just
      didn't matter. And anyway we add a little acid with the process. I have
      been marbling over 25 years and the old "acidic" (ph 6) papers are still
      the same, I have had zero complaints from restorers of any damage
      whatsoever, and just wish I could find a paper that will work consistently.
      I am in such total disagreement with the acid free craze, and don't mind
      saying so. Any restorer who wants things totally archival sprays them or
      deacidifies anyway. And a good restorer KNOWS that once marbled the paper
      is not acid free anymore anyway.

      Hope to have not opened an archival can of worms here, but I think the
      paper industry has gone overboard and I will gladly marble on a slightly
      acidic paper any day....if only I could find one! So
      please.....everyone.....tell us what you use. I know Permalin marbles (hope
      it still does) but it is curls a lot when wet and the bookbinders have to
      fight with it and complain about that.

      Thanks,
      Iris Nevins
    • Taracady
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 13, 2014
        Iris, I love learning of these intricacies! Fascinating. I don't think we have opened ream 2 of that purchase, so I will definitely check it before distributing it. The balancing act of dilution/concentration of mordant, size and pigment can be challenging enough! Now buffering of paper adds to the mix. Thanks! Tara