Marbling Base

  • Dr Zayus
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 13, 2003
      Hi everyone. My name is Edwa and I've been lurking in this group for
      a while. I've been marbling on pro chem's methylcel but I want to try
      carrageanan. Where can I find some at a decent price? I'm also
      looking for dyes to use on fabric (cotton and silk mostly) thatwill
      be more permanat than what pro chen offers - any suggestions?
      Thanks any happy marbling!
    • gretchen vansant
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 13, 2003
        Hello Edwa,check out "dharma trading" they have all I need for marbling,but different paints work differently on methel verses carageenan...its all trial and error

        Dr Zayus <greatgrapefruit@...> wrote:Hi everyone. My name is Edwa and I've been lurking in this group for
        a while. I've been marbling on pro chem's methylcel but I want to try
        carrageanan. Where can I find some at a decent price? I'm also
        looking for dyes to use on fabric (cotton and silk mostly) thatwill
        be more permanat than what pro chen offers - any suggestions?
        Thanks any happy marbling!

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • hhumler
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 14, 2003
          I am curious about your statement about dyes from pro chem. Have you
          not had good results with them? I have been using their methyl cel
          and marbling colors for a number of years and am generally quite
          pleased with what i get. But I have never tried anything else. Am I
          missing something? Certainly what I get looks as nice as the postings
          in the files but maybe there is room for improvement??? Any comments
          you have or anyone else has on the pros and cons of pro chem would be
          greatly appreciated.

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Zayus" <greatgrapefruit@y...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone. My name is Edwa and I've been lurking in this group for
          > a while. I've been marbling on pro chem's methylcel but I want to try
          > carrageanan. Where can I find some at a decent price? I'm also
          > looking for dyes to use on fabric (cotton and silk mostly) thatwill
          > be more permanat than what pro chen offers - any suggestions?
          > Thanks any happy marbling!
        • gretchen vansant
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 15, 2003
            Yeah know I never thought of pro-chemical,geeeze I bought my dyes though them in the 70,s but marbling products great...and good prices I see too!...Hey can any one tell me...I,ve never used an"extender" how does it work? I,ll use oxgall occasionally for better spread in an old or thick color,but is an extender different? And what "luminescent" paint works for anyone? (using methol) Thanks Gretchen

            Dr Zayus <greatgrapefruit@...> wrote: Hi everyone. My name is Edwa and I've been lurking in this group for
            a while. I've been marbling on pro chem's methyl but I want to try
            carrageen. Where can I find some at a decent price? I'm also

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 18, 2003
              Thanks to those that replied to my questions about carrageenan in
              bulk and dyes that are washable.

              I've been using Dharma Trading (thanks Gretchen)to buy blank silks
              and find them a great resource for a variety of supplies and ideas,
              but their price for carrageenan seems high compared to the price for
              methyl cel from pro chem. I also use pro chem for their MX fiber
              reactive dyes. Comparing the two I see quite a markup by Dharma
              (understanably) when thay sell prochem products and since I buy in
              bulk I find it less expensive to seek out the individual
              manufacturers of products and supplies.

              When I marble, I marble large pieces of fabric, usually 60 inches
              wide and up to 8 feet long. For this I create a huge "table" on my
              work space floor. I mix about 35 gallons of methyl cel at a time to
              accomodate such a large table, hence my desire to find as
              inexpensive supplier for carrageenan as possible. The ease of mixing
              such a large quantity of base using methyl cel is attractive, but
              having only used methyl cel I am curious to experiment with
              carrageenan. From all I read I'm led to believe it has better
              characteristics for fine lines and intricate patterns than methyl
              cel.

              I have been using methyl cel and pro chem marbling colors since 1989
              with no real complaints other than the fact that fabric marbled
              using these colors doesn't wash well. That makes me curious about
              airbrush inks and how washable they are. I've sewn several styles of
              purses and backpack like bags out of fabric I've marbled and sold or
              given them to friends After a while they all seem to fade as the
              color wears off. Neckties tend to rub off color of shirt collars.
              This make me wonder (hhumler) if I am "missing out" on something
              too. Dharma sells a variety of these dyes it says marblers "love"
              them. Any comments fellow marblers?

              Anywho just wondering still if anyone knows of a supplier less
              expensive for carrageenan than Dharma?

              Edwa
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 18, 2003
                What does Dharma charge for carrageenan?

                RE; colors washing off,,,,try acrylics, I have never had any color fading
                over nearly two decades of making silk scarves, if washed by soaking in
                something like Woolite or even Ivory liquid and water. If you scrub or
                throw into washing machine the colors could fade. After all this is a
                surface design, and can be scrubbed off with harsh washing methods.

[...]

                Sender:
                sentto-412943-1955-1063915006-irisnevins=compuserve.com@...
                o.com
                o.com
                To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
                From: "Dr Zayus" <greatgrapefruit@...>
                Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:56:45 -0000
                Subject: [Marbling] Re: Marbling Base

                <
              • Dr Zayus
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 18, 2003
                  Hi Iris.
                  Dharma's carrageenan is $29.95 per pound,makes about 14gallons. Dick
                  Blick has two kinds: cook and no cook, $15.95 per pound and $21.95
                  per HALF pound respectively. Not sure on the yields. Methyl cel from
                  pro chem is $10.97 per pound and yield about 14 gallons per pound.
                  When I buy several pounds the price drops to like $7.50 or so per
                  pound
                  I have a variety of Liquitex colors, an acrylic, that I have used
                  with some success after much trial and error. I'm curious to try Ph
                  Martins and/or Versatex air brush inks next.
                  The fading I've seen has mostly been on drawstring closure style
                  shoulder/backpack bags I've made where the colors seem to have
                  rubbed off after several months of use. Those were marbled with pro
                  chem water based marbling colors. I never did ask if the bags had
                  been washed in a machine or not. I realize that marbling is a suface
                  design and I'm striving to find the most colorful and lasting inks I
                  can.
                  Thanks,
                  Edwa
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 18, 2003
                    Hmmm....I charge $24 (plus shipping)per pound currently, blender type,
                    certainly to not make too much on it, but try to keep it moderately low
                    priced.

                    Anyway, don't mean this as a sales pitch, you can find more current info at
                    my site.
                    marblingpaper.com

                    IrisNevins

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 19, 2003
                          Dear everybody,

                          A stupid question from a marbling novice:
                          Why do you alum when you use methyl cellulose and acrylics???

                          I have been marbling on and off for a couple of years, paper only, though
                          (and the occasional piece of wood), first with oil colour and methyl, the
                          last year or so with acrylics and methyl, and I have never ever alumed my
                          papers. Colour never bleeds or washes off. I have put my papers through
                          some pretty rough tests to check.
                          Always assumed aluming was a carragheanan thing (although I never
                          understood why the base would matter so much in that particular respect).

                          maria vernersson

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 19, 2003
                            If the colors are adjusted right, I need no alum either with my own
                            acrylics. BUT.....let's see what happens with all this buffered paper!

                            I spoke to a paper Co. yesterday and they say the calcium carbonate cannot
                            be washed off....it is thrown in with the paper pulp, not applied after.
                            Maybe doubling up the alum could counteract this.....? Ouch......wonder
                            what it will do to the paper. It deserves a try though.

                            iris nevins

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
                              I marble cotton duck to make my packs and purses out of. You just
                              need to make sure the duck is not too tight of a weave, this makes
                              it harder/longer for the design to be absorbed. ---

                              In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bryant" <jsbryant@c...> wrote:
                              > Hi, I've wanted to marble some canvas bags, also, but haven't
                              tried yet. (I would think the bags mentioned below are canvas.)
                              Any ideas for making the marbling more permanent? From some books
                              that I've read, canvas is harder to marble, but not impossible.
                              thanks.

                              > Cynthia

                            • Steve Bryant
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 20, 2003
                                  Oops! I believe I read these messages in the wrong order. It seems that the question of using canvas was answered by Iris. So, canvas probably works better, if not washed in a machine.

                                  Cynthia

                                  From: "Dr Zayus" <greatgrapefruit@...>
                                  Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:56:45 -0000

                                  <