[Marbling] alum/allergies

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2003
      Thanks for info....technically what did they die of and what symptoms. Alum
      of other sorts is used in pickling and for soaking feet, so I wonder what
      if any dangers are in those, just curious.

      I never wear a mask while the alum is in solution, but hold my breath while
      spooning it out to avoid a sneezing fit.

      Alum is a double sulphate, consists of a metal (aluminium or
      potassium), sulphate and cristal water. It was used of old for tanning
      and fabric dying and is one of the reasons why tanners and dyers
      usually didn't live to an old age. Wear gloves (the thin surgical ones
      are sufficient) and move slowly - or even better, use a mask.

      Did you know that alum was added to glue and paste to preserve them and
      make them waterfast? Some bookbinders did that from about 1800 on, a
      restorer's nightmare! Resists everything except enzymes.

      Susanne Krause<
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2003
        I think the idea for the alum for the feet--is an ancient medical
        treatment--and in modern footcare--I have never seen it used. Probably--it
        was a short term treatment for fungus. As an antiseptic--unless it is
        disguised by some trade name--I have not seen it used either--but--bottles
        of it are still sold here--in the pharmacies--advocating it as an
        antiseptic. No doubt peroxide and savlon are more commonly used.
        Jill
        > Thanks for info....technically what did they die of and what symptoms.
        Alum
        > of other sorts is used in pickling and for soaking feet, so I wonder what
        > if any dangers are in those, just curious.
        >
        > I never wear a mask while the alum is in solution, but hold my breath
        while
        > spooning it out to avoid a sneezing fit.
        > Iris Nevins
        >

        > Message text written by INTERNET:Marbling@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > Alum is a double sulphate, consists of a metal (aluminium or
        > potassium), sulphate and cristal water. It was used of old for tanning
        > and fabric dying and is one of the reasons why tanners and dyers
        > usually didn't live to an old age. Wear gloves (the thin surgical ones
        > are sufficient) and move slowly - or even better, use a mask.
        >
        > Did you know that alum was added to glue and paste to preserve them and
        > make them waterfast? Some bookbinders did that from about 1800 on, a
        > restorer's nightmare! Resists everything except enzymes.
        >
        > Susanne Krause<

      • IrisNevins
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2003
          I have seen it used/prescribed in recent years.....right in my own house!

          iris nevins