Re: Traditional Turkish Marbling

  • ladybluenes1313
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
      Hi Carol, I am new here, a beginner.THis website sounds really
      ineresting could you send the address?
      Nes
      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Scott" <carolscott@7...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Marblers,
      >

      > I spent a good 45 minutes meandering through the traditional Turkish
      > marbling website which I found to be an absolute gem on 3 points:
      >

      > 1. While nothing new has been said or done, much was new to me,
      as
      > I haven't spent the time in the library researching original
      documents.
      > I found he was able to accurately distill important information
      about
      > the history, and process of marbling to both the novice and more
      > experienced marbler like myself. The information about not using
      any
      > alum I interpreted as a historical fact, and not meant as a
      criticism.
      > In fact I was wondering when aluming did creep its way into the
      marbling
      > process? I would also like to make some horse hair brushes from his
      > description. Can someone help elaborate on the wrapping procedure
      as I
      > can't see the detail in the picture.
      >

      > 2. I found the Alparsian's work to be a delight to behold. Quite
      frankly
      > if my work had the color intensity that his work has, I wouldn't
      bother
      > with the aluming process either. I however use 20th century
      acrylics,
      > and alum my papers. If I have to call myself a marbler as opposed
      to a
      > traditional marbler so be it.
      >

      > 2. His website was easy to maneuver through and his Turkish
      website
      > translated to English was a feat.
      >

      > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how
      many
      > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from
      Iris.
      > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did
      you do
      > it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next
      day?
      > Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and
      above
      > 50% humidity?
      >

      > Carol Scott

    • Carol Scott
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
        This is the traditional marbling website. My comments about the website
        were in reply to Milena's message that is archived on this group
        discussion forum.

        http://www.geleneksel-ebru.com/english/eng.htm

        Carol Scott

        wrote:
        > Dear Marblers,
        >

        > I spent a good 45 minutes meandering through the traditional Turkish
        > marbling website which I found to be an absolute gem on 3 points:
        >

        > 1. While nothing new has been said or done, much was new to me,
        as
        > I haven't spent the time in the library researching original
        documents.
        > I found he was able to accurately distill important information
        about
        > the history, and process of marbling to both the novice and more
        > experienced marbler like myself. The information about not using
        any
        > alum I interpreted as a historical fact, and not meant as a
        criticism.
        > In fact I was wondering when aluming did creep its way into the
        marbling
        > process? I would also like to make some horse hair brushes from his
        > description. Can someone help elaborate on the wrapping procedure
        as I
        > can't see the detail in the picture.
        >

        > 2. I found the Alparsian's work to be a delight to behold. Quite
        frankly
        > if my work had the color intensity that his work has, I wouldn't
        bother
        > with the aluming process either. I however use 20th century
        acrylics,
        > and alum my papers. If I have to call myself a marbler as opposed
        to a
        > traditional marbler so be it.
        >

        > 2. His website was easy to maneuver through and his Turkish
        website
        > translated to English was a feat.
        >

        > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how
        many
        > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from
        Iris.
        > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did
        you do
        > it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next
        day?
        > Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and
        above
        > 50% humidity?
        >

        > Carol Scott

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor