re: My New Web Site

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6 2:56 PM
      Similar to Feridun, I question 8th c Japan as the beginning of
      suminagashi. The earliest documented example is
      "Sanjuroku-nin Shu", written in 1118, with examples of
      suminagashi enhancing the calligraphy of the poets. The Heian
      Era existed from 794-1185, so this documentation is late in the
      period not earlier. It is possible that "liu sha shein"- the Chinese
      art of painting on a gum solution, may be what you are referring
      to. This was mentioned in an article by Irvin Cemil Schick in
      "Antika" journal (Turkey), in 1988. However, I do not know of
      actual documentation on the Chinese technique or read further
      information as to earlier dates. Can anyone out there be of
      further assistance so that this site gives the correct history?
    • Feridun Ozgoren
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6 7:41 PM
        Milena is right in her comments and I thank her for it.
        The whole issue of "is Sumunagashi ebru?" is another topic by itself.
        If it is, can we also claim that watercolor is another form of oil painting?
        Love to all.
        Feridun Ozgoren

        Similar to Feridun, I question 8th c Japan as the beginning of
        suminagashi. The earliest documented example is
        "Sanjuroku-nin Shu", written in 1118, with examples of
        suminagashi enhancing the calligraphy of the poets. The Heian
        Era existed from 794-1185, so this documentation is late in the
        period not earlier. It is possible that "liu sha shein"- the Chinese
        art of painting on a gum solution, may be what you are referring
        to. This was mentioned in an article by Irvin Cemil Schick in
        "Antika" journal (Turkey), in 1988. However, I do not know of
        actual documentation on the Chinese technique or read further
        information as to earlier dates. Can anyone out there be of
        further assistance so that this site gives the correct history?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor