Re: [Marbling] Traditional Turkish Marbling

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
      I find it easier, if more boring, to do all the same paper on these long
      days. I couldn't do so many if I had to shift gears and keep mixing new
      colors. I do work on a four sheet tank however. It cuts work time almost in
      half, maybe not quite, not four times as quickly as one would think. The
      only thing that goes quicker is making the pattern for four sheets all at
      once. The rest, the laying the hanging, etc. is still there.

      Iris Nevins
      (ps....sometimes people don't sign their posts, it's hard to see who you
      are)
    • ladybluenes1313
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
        Hi Carol, I am new here, a beginner.THis website sounds really
        ineresting could you send the address?
        Nes
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Scott" <carolscott@7...>
        wrote:
        > Dear Marblers,
        >

        > I spent a good 45 minutes meandering through the traditional Turkish
        > marbling website which I found to be an absolute gem on 3 points:
        >

        > 1. While nothing new has been said or done, much was new to me,
        as
        > I haven't spent the time in the library researching original
        documents.
        > I found he was able to accurately distill important information
        about
        > the history, and process of marbling to both the novice and more
        > experienced marbler like myself. The information about not using
        any
        > alum I interpreted as a historical fact, and not meant as a
        criticism.
        > In fact I was wondering when aluming did creep its way into the
        marbling
        > process? I would also like to make some horse hair brushes from his
        > description. Can someone help elaborate on the wrapping procedure
        as I
        > can't see the detail in the picture.
        >

        > 2. I found the Alparsian's work to be a delight to behold. Quite
        frankly
        > if my work had the color intensity that his work has, I wouldn't
        bother
        > with the aluming process either. I however use 20th century
        acrylics,
        > and alum my papers. If I have to call myself a marbler as opposed
        to a
        > traditional marbler so be it.
        >

        > 2. His website was easy to maneuver through and his Turkish
        website
        > translated to English was a feat.
        >

        > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how
        many
        > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from
        Iris.
        > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did
        you do
        > it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next
        day?
        > Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and
        above
        > 50% humidity?
        >

        > Carol Scott

      • Carol Scott
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
          This is the traditional marbling website. My comments about the website
          were in reply to Milena's message that is archived on this group
          discussion forum.

          http://www.geleneksel-ebru.com/english/eng.htm

          Carol Scott

          wrote:
          > Dear Marblers,
          >

          > I spent a good 45 minutes meandering through the traditional Turkish
          > marbling website which I found to be an absolute gem on 3 points:
          >

          > 1. While nothing new has been said or done, much was new to me,
          as
          > I haven't spent the time in the library researching original
          documents.
          > I found he was able to accurately distill important information
          about
          > the history, and process of marbling to both the novice and more
          > experienced marbler like myself. The information about not using
          any
          > alum I interpreted as a historical fact, and not meant as a
          criticism.
          > In fact I was wondering when aluming did creep its way into the
          marbling
          > process? I would also like to make some horse hair brushes from his
          > description. Can someone help elaborate on the wrapping procedure
          as I
          > can't see the detail in the picture.
          >

          > 2. I found the Alparsian's work to be a delight to behold. Quite
          frankly
          > if my work had the color intensity that his work has, I wouldn't
          bother
          > with the aluming process either. I however use 20th century
          acrylics,
          > and alum my papers. If I have to call myself a marbler as opposed
          to a
          > traditional marbler so be it.
          >

          > 2. His website was easy to maneuver through and his Turkish
          website
          > translated to English was a feat.
          >

          > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how
          many
          > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from
          Iris.
          > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did
          you do
          > it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next
          day?
          > Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and
          above
          > 50% humidity?
          >

          > Carol Scott

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor