Re: [Marbling] Traditional Turkish Marbling

  • marbling@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
      In a message dated 8/2/2003 9:37:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
      irisnevins@... writes:

      > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how many
      > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from Iris.
      > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future.

      Wow -- my all-time record is 80 in a day, which was no fun at all
      (especially since it took em 6 months to pay me) and that was using a double tank,
      and all the papers were alike. Usually I think I am being very well-behaved
      though if I manage to turn out 24 in a day before I quit, since that's all my
      drip-drying rack will hold. And even that's with a break after every 8 or so
      sheets -- I'm a lazy marbler. I can do more if I have to, the ones in the
      back of the rack are dry by the time the front is filled up. I usually start way
      after midnight and marble up until the dawn's early light....... then sleep
      till the afternoon.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
        I find it easier, if more boring, to do all the same paper on these long
        days. I couldn't do so many if I had to shift gears and keep mixing new
        colors. I do work on a four sheet tank however. It cuts work time almost in
        half, maybe not quite, not four times as quickly as one would think. The
        only thing that goes quicker is making the pattern for four sheets all at
        once. The rest, the laying the hanging, etc. is still there.

        Iris Nevins
        (ps....sometimes people don't sign their posts, it's hard to see who you
        are)
      • ladybluenes1313
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
          Hi Carol, I am new here, a beginner.THis website sounds really
          ineresting could you send the address?
          Nes
          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Scott" <carolscott@7...>

        • Carol Scott
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
            This is the traditional marbling website. My comments about the website
            were in reply to Milena's message that is archived on this group
            discussion forum.

            http://www.geleneksel-ebru.com/english/eng.htm

            Carol Scott

            wrote:
            > Dear Marblers,
            >

            > I spent a good 45 minutes meandering through the traditional Turkish
            > marbling website which I found to be an absolute gem on 3 points:
            >

            > 1. While nothing new has been said or done, much was new to me,
            as
            > I haven't spent the time in the library researching original
            documents.
            > I found he was able to accurately distill important information
            about
            > the history, and process of marbling to both the novice and more
            > experienced marbler like myself. The information about not using
            any
            > alum I interpreted as a historical fact, and not meant as a
            criticism.
            > In fact I was wondering when aluming did creep its way into the
            marbling
            > process? I would also like to make some horse hair brushes from his
            > description. Can someone help elaborate on the wrapping procedure
            as I
            > can't see the detail in the picture.
            >

            > 2. I found the Alparsian's work to be a delight to behold. Quite
            frankly
            > if my work had the color intensity that his work has, I wouldn't
            bother
            > with the aluming process either. I however use 20th century
            acrylics,
            > and alum my papers. If I have to call myself a marbler as opposed
            to a
            > traditional marbler so be it.
            >

            > 2. His website was easy to maneuver through and his Turkish
            website
            > translated to English was a feat.
            >

            > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how
            many
            > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from
            Iris.
            > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did
            you do
            > it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next
            day?
            > Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and
            above
            > 50% humidity?
            >

            > Carol Scott

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor