[Marbling] Traditional Turkish Marbling

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 7:35 PM
      Hmmm... itried to send a reply from the road on a pocketmail device, but
      apparently it didn't come through. Just to set the record straight....70
      sheets is a comfy day for me. My record is 152 sheets. I do not advise it
      if you want to remain a civil human! I had a rush order,,,,,,do it all that
      day or lose it! And besides....ran out of room to hang.

      I was a zombie for days afterwards,

      A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how many
      papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from Iris.
      She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did you do
      it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next day?
      Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and above
      50% humidity?
      <
    • marbling@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 3:46 AM
        In a message dated 8/2/2003 9:37:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
        irisnevins@... writes:

        > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how many
        > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from Iris.
        > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future.

        Wow -- my all-time record is 80 in a day, which was no fun at all
        (especially since it took em 6 months to pay me) and that was using a double tank,
        and all the papers were alike. Usually I think I am being very well-behaved
        though if I manage to turn out 24 in a day before I quit, since that's all my
        drip-drying rack will hold. And even that's with a break after every 8 or so
        sheets -- I'm a lazy marbler. I can do more if I have to, the ones in the
        back of the rack are dry by the time the front is filled up. I usually start way
        after midnight and marble up until the dawn's early light....... then sleep
        till the afternoon.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 5:17 AM
          I find it easier, if more boring, to do all the same paper on these long
          days. I couldn't do so many if I had to shift gears and keep mixing new
          colors. I do work on a four sheet tank however. It cuts work time almost in
          half, maybe not quite, not four times as quickly as one would think. The
          only thing that goes quicker is making the pattern for four sheets all at
          once. The rest, the laying the hanging, etc. is still there.

          Iris Nevins
          (ps....sometimes people don't sign their posts, it's hard to see who you
          are)
        • ladybluenes1313
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15 4:34 AM
            Hi Carol, I am new here, a beginner.THis website sounds really
            ineresting could you send the address?
            Nes
            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Scott" <carolscott@7...>

          • Carol Scott
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15 6:45 AM
              This is the traditional marbling website. My comments about the website
              were in reply to Milena's message that is archived on this group
              discussion forum.

              http://www.geleneksel-ebru.com/english/eng.htm

              Carol Scott

              wrote:
              > Dear Marblers,
              >

              > I spent a good 45 minutes meandering through the traditional Turkish
              > marbling website which I found to be an absolute gem on 3 points:
              >

              > 1. While nothing new has been said or done, much was new to me,
              as
              > I haven't spent the time in the library researching original
              documents.
              > I found he was able to accurately distill important information
              about
              > the history, and process of marbling to both the novice and more
              > experienced marbler like myself. The information about not using
              any
              > alum I interpreted as a historical fact, and not meant as a
              criticism.
              > In fact I was wondering when aluming did creep its way into the
              marbling
              > process? I would also like to make some horse hair brushes from his
              > description. Can someone help elaborate on the wrapping procedure
              as I
              > can't see the detail in the picture.
              >

              > 2. I found the Alparsian's work to be a delight to behold. Quite
              frankly
              > if my work had the color intensity that his work has, I wouldn't
              bother
              > with the aluming process either. I however use 20th century
              acrylics,
              > and alum my papers. If I have to call myself a marbler as opposed
              to a
              > traditional marbler so be it.
              >

              > 2. His website was easy to maneuver through and his Turkish
              website
              > translated to English was a feat.
              >

              > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how
              many
              > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from
              Iris.
              > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did
              you do
              > it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next
              day?
              > Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and
              above
              > 50% humidity?
              >

              > Carol Scott

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor