Traditional Turkish Marbling

  • Carol Scott
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
      Dear Marblers,

      I spent a good 45 minutes meandering through the traditional Turkish
      marbling website which I found to be an absolute gem on 3 points:

      1. While nothing new has been said or done, much was new to me, as
      I haven't spent the time in the library researching original documents.
      I found he was able to accurately distill important information about
      the history, and process of marbling to both the novice and more
      experienced marbler like myself. The information about not using any
      alum I interpreted as a historical fact, and not meant as a criticism.
      In fact I was wondering when aluming did creep its way into the marbling
      process? I would also like to make some horse hair brushes from his
      description. Can someone help elaborate on the wrapping procedure as I
      can't see the detail in the picture.

      2. I found the Alparsian's work to be a delight to behold. Quite frankly
      if my work had the color intensity that his work has, I wouldn't bother
      with the aluming process either. I however use 20th century acrylics,
      and alum my papers. If I have to call myself a marbler as opposed to a
      traditional marbler so be it.

      2. His website was easy to maneuver through and his Turkish website
      translated to English was a feat.

      A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how many
      papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from Iris.
      She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did you do
      it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next day?
      Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and above
      50% humidity?

      Carol Scott

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
        Hmmm... itried to send a reply from the road on a pocketmail device, but
        apparently it didn't come through. Just to set the record straight....70
        sheets is a comfy day for me. My record is 152 sheets. I do not advise it
        if you want to remain a civil human! I had a rush order,,,,,,do it all that
        day or lose it! And besides....ran out of room to hang.

        I was a zombie for days afterwards,

        <
      • marbling@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
          In a message dated 8/2/2003 9:37:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
          irisnevins@... writes:

          > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how many
          > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from Iris.
          > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future.

          Wow -- my all-time record is 80 in a day, which was no fun at all
          (especially since it took em 6 months to pay me) and that was using a double tank,
          and all the papers were alike. Usually I think I am being very well-behaved
          though if I manage to turn out 24 in a day before I quit, since that's all my
          drip-drying rack will hold. And even that's with a break after every 8 or so
          sheets -- I'm a lazy marbler. I can do more if I have to, the ones in the
          back of the rack are dry by the time the front is filled up. I usually start way
          after midnight and marble up until the dawn's early light....... then sleep
          till the afternoon.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
            I find it easier, if more boring, to do all the same paper on these long
            days. I couldn't do so many if I had to shift gears and keep mixing new
            colors. I do work on a four sheet tank however. It cuts work time almost in
            half, maybe not quite, not four times as quickly as one would think. The
            only thing that goes quicker is making the pattern for four sheets all at
            once. The rest, the laying the hanging, etc. is still there.

            Iris Nevins
            (ps....sometimes people don't sign their posts, it's hard to see who you
            are)
          • ladybluenes1313
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
              Hi Carol, I am new here, a beginner.THis website sounds really
              ineresting could you send the address?
              Nes
              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Scott" <carolscott@7...>

            • Carol Scott
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
                This is the traditional marbling website. My comments about the website
                were in reply to Milena's message that is archived on this group
                discussion forum.

                http://www.geleneksel-ebru.com/english/eng.htm

                Carol Scott

                wrote:
                > Dear Marblers,
                >

                > I spent a good 45 minutes meandering through the traditional Turkish
                > marbling website which I found to be an absolute gem on 3 points:
                >

                > 1. While nothing new has been said or done, much was new to me,
                as
                > I haven't spent the time in the library researching original
                documents.
                > I found he was able to accurately distill important information
                about
                > the history, and process of marbling to both the novice and more
                > experienced marbler like myself. The information about not using
                any
                > alum I interpreted as a historical fact, and not meant as a
                criticism.
                > In fact I was wondering when aluming did creep its way into the
                marbling
                > process? I would also like to make some horse hair brushes from his
                > description. Can someone help elaborate on the wrapping procedure
                as I
                > can't see the detail in the picture.
                >

                > 2. I found the Alparsian's work to be a delight to behold. Quite
                frankly
                > if my work had the color intensity that his work has, I wouldn't
                bother
                > with the aluming process either. I however use 20th century
                acrylics,
                > and alum my papers. If I have to call myself a marbler as opposed
                to a
                > traditional marbler so be it.
                >

                > 2. His website was easy to maneuver through and his Turkish
                website
                > translated to English was a feat.
                >

                > A while back I sent out a query to production marblers as to how
                many
                > papers they crank out in a day. The only response I got was from
                Iris.
                > She was going to attempt 70 sheets in the near future. Iris: did
                you do
                > it, and if so how was your back, legs, a mental condition the next
                day?
                > Also what kinda of things happen when the temp is above 65% and
                above
                > 50% humidity?
                >

                > Carol Scott

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor