RE: [Marbling] help enroll a friend to this group

  • Franklyn Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2003
      Hi Gail

      Sometimes changing to spring water from tap water in the size helps
      considerably. Alternatively, draw the water and let it sit in the pail
      for 24 hours before adding the caragheenan. I use distilled water
      consistently in the colours (from Eileen Canning, though Don Guyot
      didn't necessarily agree with this).

      The bacteria count in summer water may be higher with the result that
      they add more chlorine.

      There is also the problem of paper drying very quickly in a warm room
      resulting in more cockling. I test the RH and humidify if necessary. I
      always spray the air before uncovering the vat since I have a problem of
      dirt in the air as well as trying to control the humidity. It's also
      neat to marble when it is raining out which helps with the RH and the
      results are often very nice indeed.

      Shelagh Smith