Re: [Marbling] help enroll a friend to this group

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26 2:56 PM
      I will subscribe for you.
      Jill
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Oguzhan Tugrul" <uygur13@...>
      To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 4:16 PM
      Subject: [Marbling] help enroll a friend to this group

      > esteemed friends,
      > Ayla Makas a Turkish marbler ,once apprenticed Hikmet Barutcugil
      > would like to join this marbling group.
      > her email address is as follows:
      >
      > aylamakas@...
      >
      > please help her !
      >
      > ps.do people have difficulty marbling in the summertime !
      > what to do ?
      > I was told tarraganth is misbehaving in warm weather,

    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26 3:40 PM

        > ps.do people have difficulty marbling in the summertime !
        > what to do ?
        > I was told tarraganth is misbehaving in warm weather,

        AHA! I just finished a day of work where the most difficult part was trying
        not to drip sweat onto the pattern!! Of, course, when it¹s cold the colors
        won¹t spread, and when it¹s humid, all sorts of quirky things happen.. Good
        luck and welcome! Gail

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26 7:06 PM
          Give me under 65 degrees and under 50% humidity for perfect marbling days,
          Iris
        • Franklyn Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27 7:13 AM
            Hi Gail

            Sometimes changing to spring water from tap water in the size helps
            considerably. Alternatively, draw the water and let it sit in the pail
            for 24 hours before adding the caragheenan. I use distilled water
            consistently in the colours (from Eileen Canning, though Don Guyot
            didn't necessarily agree with this).

            The bacteria count in summer water may be higher with the result that
            they add more chlorine.

            There is also the problem of paper drying very quickly in a warm room
            resulting in more cockling. I test the RH and humidify if necessary. I
            always spray the air before uncovering the vat since I have a problem of
            dirt in the air as well as trying to control the humidity. It's also
            neat to marble when it is raining out which helps with the RH and the
            results are often very nice indeed.

            Shelagh Smith

            > ps.do people have difficulty marbling in the summertime ! what to do ?
            > I was told tarraganth is misbehaving in warm weather,

            AHA! I just finished a day of work where the most difficult part was
            trying not to drip sweat onto the pattern!! Of, course, when it¹s cold
            the colors won¹t spread, and when it¹s humid, all sorts of quirky things
            happen.. Good luck and welcome! Gail

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/