Re: Carrageenan in Europe??

  • Angela Drake
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2003
      I learned how to marble while in Europe and the person who taught me
      used powdered wallpaper paste instead of carrageenan. It is
      inexpensive and easy to find in Germany and in France. You mix it
      with cold water using a whisk and add as much water as needed for the
      size. If you are in France, it is available at Cora but I am sure
      that any store carrying hardware supplies would have it. the brand I
      bought came in a yellow box with purple letters (sorry I can't
      remember the name). As with carrageenan, results vary depending on
      the weather, temperature, etc. but generally I had good control over
      my patterns. The size does work better the longer it is used. You
      should mix this size the night before you plan to use it.

      I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but I hope it helps.

      Angie