Marbling on Wood

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2, 2003
      I agree with MCS. Marbling over lacquer is asking for trouble in a
      craft with a trillion variances to contend with as it is! Ask your
      husband NOT to finish the turned wood before you attempt any
      further marbling. That seems to be the easiest solution! Trying
      to sandwich the marbling between two finishes really doesn't
      help the situation either. Like paper, different wood species will
      take to marbling in different ways...open grain, tight grain, soft
      and hard woods will all give different results. Try experimenting
      on small pieces until you "perfect" your technique. Also, poor
      marbling on a fine turned wood piece will detract from its beauty.
      Color (or lack of strength in color), and lightfastness of the
      pigments is also an issue as well as proper patterns for certain
      sizes and shapes of wood. MCS is a pro with many years of
      experience in BOTH marbling and wood turning. It takes time
      and great patience to do this correctly! -Milena
    • mpmh60201
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
        I've posted two images on wood in the file. If you're not familiar
        with this pdf format: find the -+ in the upper panel board and set
        to 75%. This will give you the best overall image. Milena
      • mpmh60201
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
          Wood images are now in jpeg format. Disregard last message
          about the pdf reduction to 75%.
          Milena
        • MELODY BELLOCK

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
              If you are referring to the bowl:
              each section is masked off and marbled separately. The first
              pattern has to be totally dry before the second is marbled.
              Although the pattern edges are clear and crisp, I've hand painted
              metallic copper rings between each pattern to emphasize the
              designs.
              Milena

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "MELODY BELLOCK"
              <melbellock@m...> wrote:
              > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
              and middle?
              > Melody

            • MELODY BELLOCK
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
                And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
                thanks
                Melody

                <melbellock@m...> wrote:
                > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
                and middle?
                > Melody

              • mpmh60201
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                  Melody,
                  A low tack masking tape works well on maple because it's fine
                  grained wood. Stronger adhesive tapes (such as duct) will leave
                  a residue on the wood which might be difficult to remove without
                  damaging the marbled areas. However, if you use wood such
                  as oak, with an open grain, then the low tack will not work as the
                  pigments will seep under the edges of the tape. Since I'm not a
                  woodworker/turner, perhaps someone out there has a better
                  solution. Also, the wood must be varnished after marbling. I
                  leave this up to the turner to use a compatible finish. Some of
                  the bowl shapes, sizes and grains have been quite challenging.
                  One should always strive to enhance this rather than let the
                  marbling take over (especially with color). Presently, my focus
                  has reverted to more fine art works on paper. Good luck!

                  <melbellock@m...> wrote:
                  > Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you
                  used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
                  > And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors
                  used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
                  > thanks
                  > Melody

                  Terms
                  > of Service.

                  of Service.

                • ANGEE
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                    How do we get to the site of the images?

                    Angee

                    > Wood images are now in jpeg format. Disregard last message
                    > about the pdf reduction to 75%.
                    > Milena

                  • J Dolphin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                      Go into the site--on the left hand side is a menu--click on either photos or
                      files--then click on which one you want to see.
                      Jill
                      > How do we get to the site of the images?
                      >
                      > Angee

                    • Dave Allen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
                        Melina,
                        It's very beautiful! What a marvellous blending of crafts.
                        Dave

                        David Allen
                        840 Snowdrop Avenue
                        Victoria, British Columbia
                        CANADA V8Z 2N4
                        (250) 888-9380
                        http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

                        Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only
                        be maintained by violence. Any man who has once proclaimed
                        violence as his method is inevitably forced to take the lie
                        as his principle.
                        Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn - Nobel Prize lecture, 1974
                      • cfloate
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                          Melody,
                          You can also use Friskit. It comes is sheets or liquid form.
                          Depending on the shape of your object you could use either. The
                          liquid form is best for rounder shapes as it forms to the surface.
                          The sheets may not adhere to the round surface as well and you might
                          get some pigment under the Frisket that may not be laying tightly on
                          the surface of the vessel.

                          Friskit can be gotton at most any art supply store.

                          Good luck.

                          Carole

                          wrote:
                          > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and
                          middle?
                          > Melody

                          Service.

                        • cfloate