Re: [Marbling] Marbling Wood

  • del.mary.stubbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 12:55 PM
      I thought I should fill this out a bit more....my approach to marbling
      on wood, as mentioned below, is to marble directly onto the wood -
      meaning - no sealer on the wood prior to marbling. I have always done
      it this way, with good success.

      I have been a woodturner for 35 years, so I have a pretty good
      understandinf of the properties of wood. My view is: Just as paper is a
      porous surface to print the marbling on - so is wood. They are both
      "pallets" to hold the marbling. Not all papers work well for
      marbling.....the papers that predictably do not work well, are ones that
      have some sort of "coating" on them. Also - one would not pre-seal the
      paper in order to marble. In some cases there may be reason to use
      sanding sealer or shellac on the wood prior to marbling - these
      "finishes" have the properties/the ability to have other "finishes"
      adhere to them. I have had various degress of success the few times I
      have used sealers prior to aluming and marbling - sometimes, no
      problem....other times.....marbling washed off. Such is the world of
      marbling, heh? There are no absolutes it seems - what works for one,
      does not work for another, and what works for you one time, may not work
      another! Keeps us on our toes.......or humble.....depending on the day,
      right? :-)

      I'm not trying to discourage you from trying marbling over
      lacquer.....mostly wondering if you felt you needed to pre-seal the
      wood, or if it was simply a "new thing to try". If you decide to give
      it a try - as mentioned in my previous post, you could try lightly
      sanding the lacquer to make the alum and the marbling bite into it. I
      neglected to indicate that it is not easy to go back and even lightly
      sand the lacquer so the scratches do not show through - it mostly
      depends on how thick the lacquer is. There are some good cloth backed
      abrasives that would be best to use for this application, if you have
      access to any of those. I would stll be concerned, however, of the
      longevity of the marbling over the lacquer......even if you did lightly
      sand the surface some, I'm not certain that it would be enough to keep
      the marbling intact long term. Seems like it could flake off, unless
      you put another coat of lacquer over it. Hope this helps - Mary Celine
      Thouin (Stubbs)

      MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

      > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
      > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

      [Click Here!]