Re: [Marbling] Marbling Wood

  • del.mary.stubbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      It is my bias that this will not work......BUT........Since I have never
      tried marbling over lacquer, it would not be fair to say it
      absolutely...... but my guess is that the lacquer will resist the alum
      solution. If you try marbling a piece - let us know what happens. It
      could be that if you lightly "rough up" the lacquered surface with 600
      - or maybe even 1200 grit sandpaper, the alum may have something to
      "bite" into.

      MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

      > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
      > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

      [Click Here!]

    • del.mary.stubbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        I thought I should fill this out a bit more....my approach to marbling
        on wood, as mentioned below, is to marble directly onto the wood -
        meaning - no sealer on the wood prior to marbling. I have always done
        it this way, with good success.

        I have been a woodturner for 35 years, so I have a pretty good
        understandinf of the properties of wood. My view is: Just as paper is a
        porous surface to print the marbling on - so is wood. They are both
        "pallets" to hold the marbling. Not all papers work well for
        marbling.....the papers that predictably do not work well, are ones that
        have some sort of "coating" on them. Also - one would not pre-seal the
        paper in order to marble. In some cases there may be reason to use
        sanding sealer or shellac on the wood prior to marbling - these
        "finishes" have the properties/the ability to have other "finishes"
        adhere to them. I have had various degress of success the few times I
        have used sealers prior to aluming and marbling - sometimes, no
        problem....other times.....marbling washed off. Such is the world of
        marbling, heh? There are no absolutes it seems - what works for one,
        does not work for another, and what works for you one time, may not work
        another! Keeps us on our toes.......or humble.....depending on the day,
        right? :-)

        I'm not trying to discourage you from trying marbling over
        lacquer.....mostly wondering if you felt you needed to pre-seal the
        wood, or if it was simply a "new thing to try". If you decide to give
        it a try - as mentioned in my previous post, you could try lightly
        sanding the lacquer to make the alum and the marbling bite into it. I
        neglected to indicate that it is not easy to go back and even lightly
        sand the lacquer so the scratches do not show through - it mostly
        depends on how thick the lacquer is. There are some good cloth backed
        abrasives that would be best to use for this application, if you have
        access to any of those. I would stll be concerned, however, of the
        longevity of the marbling over the lacquer......even if you did lightly
        sand the surface some, I'm not certain that it would be enough to keep
        the marbling intact long term. Seems like it could flake off, unless
        you put another coat of lacquer over it. Hope this helps - Mary Celine
        Thouin (Stubbs)

        MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

        > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
        > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

        [Click Here!]