Re: [Marbling] Marbling Wood

  • MELODY BELLOCK
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to marble. He uses a clear lacquer.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        It is my bias that this will not work......BUT........Since I have never
        tried marbling over lacquer, it would not be fair to say it
        absolutely...... but my guess is that the lacquer will resist the alum
        solution. If you try marbling a piece - let us know what happens. It
        could be that if you lightly "rough up" the lacquered surface with 600
        - or maybe even 1200 grit sandpaper, the alum may have something to
        "bite" into.

        MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

        > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
        > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

        [Click Here!]

      • del.mary.stubbs
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
          I thought I should fill this out a bit more....my approach to marbling
          on wood, as mentioned below, is to marble directly onto the wood -
          meaning - no sealer on the wood prior to marbling. I have always done
          it this way, with good success.

          I have been a woodturner for 35 years, so I have a pretty good
          understandinf of the properties of wood. My view is: Just as paper is a
          porous surface to print the marbling on - so is wood. They are both
          "pallets" to hold the marbling. Not all papers work well for
          marbling.....the papers that predictably do not work well, are ones that
          have some sort of "coating" on them. Also - one would not pre-seal the
          paper in order to marble. In some cases there may be reason to use
          sanding sealer or shellac on the wood prior to marbling - these
          "finishes" have the properties/the ability to have other "finishes"
          adhere to them. I have had various degress of success the few times I
          have used sealers prior to aluming and marbling - sometimes, no
          problem....other times.....marbling washed off. Such is the world of
          marbling, heh? There are no absolutes it seems - what works for one,
          does not work for another, and what works for you one time, may not work
          another! Keeps us on our toes.......or humble.....depending on the day,
          right? :-)

          I'm not trying to discourage you from trying marbling over
          lacquer.....mostly wondering if you felt you needed to pre-seal the
          wood, or if it was simply a "new thing to try". If you decide to give
          it a try - as mentioned in my previous post, you could try lightly
          sanding the lacquer to make the alum and the marbling bite into it. I
          neglected to indicate that it is not easy to go back and even lightly
          sand the lacquer so the scratches do not show through - it mostly
          depends on how thick the lacquer is. There are some good cloth backed
          abrasives that would be best to use for this application, if you have
          access to any of those. I would stll be concerned, however, of the
          longevity of the marbling over the lacquer......even if you did lightly
          sand the surface some, I'm not certain that it would be enough to keep
          the marbling intact long term. Seems like it could flake off, unless
          you put another coat of lacquer over it. Hope this helps - Mary Celine
          Thouin (Stubbs)

          MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

          > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
          > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

          [Click Here!]