Re: [Marbling] Marbling Wood

  • del.mary.stubbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
      I have worked with marbling on wood for many years now - the wood
      marbling I do is done directly on the wood.. I have never marbled over
      lacquer - but it seems it would be difficult for the alum / marbling to
      adhere to the lacquer. Can you say why you are wanting to marble over
      lacquer - are you doing this to pre-seal the wood? Do you mean clear
      lacquer that is used as a finish?......or lacquered bowls such as
      Japanese lacquer? If you are doing oil marbling - that would adhere to
      the lacquer.

      melbellock wrote:

      > I want to marble wood bowls that have been lacquered. I have done
      > uncoated bowls which I put alum on before marbling, but have never
      > tried lacquered bowls. Has anyone had any experience with this and
      > any ideas on technique?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Melody
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • MELODY BELLOCK
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

        melbellock wrote:

        > I want to marble wood bowls that have been lacquered. I have done
        > uncoated bowls which I put alum on before marbling, but have never
        > tried lacquered bowls. Has anyone had any experience with this and
        > any ideas on technique?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Melody
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • del.mary.stubbs
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
          It is my bias that this will not work......BUT........Since I have never
          tried marbling over lacquer, it would not be fair to say it
          absolutely...... but my guess is that the lacquer will resist the alum
          solution. If you try marbling a piece - let us know what happens. It
          could be that if you lightly "rough up" the lacquered surface with 600
          - or maybe even 1200 grit sandpaper, the alum may have something to
          "bite" into.

          MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

          > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
          > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

          [Click Here!]

        • del.mary.stubbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
            I thought I should fill this out a bit more....my approach to marbling
            on wood, as mentioned below, is to marble directly onto the wood -
            meaning - no sealer on the wood prior to marbling. I have always done
            it this way, with good success.

            I have been a woodturner for 35 years, so I have a pretty good
            understandinf of the properties of wood. My view is: Just as paper is a
            porous surface to print the marbling on - so is wood. They are both
            "pallets" to hold the marbling. Not all papers work well for
            marbling.....the papers that predictably do not work well, are ones that
            have some sort of "coating" on them. Also - one would not pre-seal the
            paper in order to marble. In some cases there may be reason to use
            sanding sealer or shellac on the wood prior to marbling - these
            "finishes" have the properties/the ability to have other "finishes"
            adhere to them. I have had various degress of success the few times I
            have used sealers prior to aluming and marbling - sometimes, no
            problem....other times.....marbling washed off. Such is the world of
            marbling, heh? There are no absolutes it seems - what works for one,
            does not work for another, and what works for you one time, may not work
            another! Keeps us on our toes.......or humble.....depending on the day,
            right? :-)

            I'm not trying to discourage you from trying marbling over
            lacquer.....mostly wondering if you felt you needed to pre-seal the
            wood, or if it was simply a "new thing to try". If you decide to give
            it a try - as mentioned in my previous post, you could try lightly
            sanding the lacquer to make the alum and the marbling bite into it. I
            neglected to indicate that it is not easy to go back and even lightly
            sand the lacquer so the scratches do not show through - it mostly
            depends on how thick the lacquer is. There are some good cloth backed
            abrasives that would be best to use for this application, if you have
            access to any of those. I would stll be concerned, however, of the
            longevity of the marbling over the lacquer......even if you did lightly
            sand the surface some, I'm not certain that it would be enough to keep
            the marbling intact long term. Seems like it could flake off, unless
            you put another coat of lacquer over it. Hope this helps - Mary Celine
            Thouin (Stubbs)

            MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

            > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
            > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

            [Click Here!]