Re: transferring patterns

  • Maurene Fritz/Yehuda Miklaf
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
      I would like to transfer a pattern from a sheet of my marbled paper to
      material, specifically a piece of needlepoint webbing. I tried just moisture
      and I tried paste, both with lots of pressure, but nothing moved. I have
      access to binding presses and a hot press. My papers are all water color on
      carragheenan.

      Any suggestions?

      Yehuda Miklaf
    • IrisNevins
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
        Yehuda .....simple....I believe.

        Scan it, then print on a good photo printer onto iron on transfer paper.
        Then iron on fabric! Simple. I have done this on tee-shirts and other
        clothing. It does get that iron on rubbery like texture a bit, but that
        would be covered by the embroidery.

        Iris Nevins
      • Maurene Fritz/Yehuda Miklaf
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2003
          I asked about transferring marbled patterns to cloth (in this case a piece
          of needlepoint canvas) and Iris suggested scanning it and printing it onto
          special paper that can be ironed onto fabric. It was very successful, and
          although the colours didn't come out so true, I'll be covering them with
          coloured thread anyway. Thanks, Iris.

          Have any of you commercial marblers thought of marbling canvases for sale?

          Regards,
          Yehuda Miklaf
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2003
            glad it worked! I figured the colored parts were a guideline for
            thread/yarn anyway.

            Iris Nevins
          • Franklyn Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2003
              Hi Yehudah,

              What's the special paper that be ironed on to fabric and can be
              photocopied as well?

              Hope all is well with you and the family.

              Shelagh

              I asked about transferring marbled patterns to cloth (in this case a
              piece of needlepoint canvas) and Iris suggested scanning it and printing
              it onto special paper that can be ironed onto fabric. It was very
              successful, and although the colours didn't come out so true, I'll be
              covering them with coloured thread anyway. Thanks, Iris.

              Have any of you commercial marblers thought of marbling canvases for
              sale?

              Regards,
              Yehuda Miklaf

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • James M Mahoney
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8, 2003
                Hello, Yehuda -
                Yes, I have not only thought of it, but I have marbled needlepoint
                canvases and, in fact, our daughter and I have a needlearts company,
                called "My Mother & I", which markets marbled counted thread fabrics.
                The majority of our designs are on needlepoint canvas and linen. Each
                item is hand marbled, so it is a very labor intensive process. At one
                point we had about 100 designs in our catalog, but my partner (our
                daughter) and her husband have had 3 boys, so she is quite busy with them
                right now. At this point, I am not currently very actively pursuing the
                marketing and I have dropped many of the designs, but it has been very
                successful. I have considered scanning the designs onto the fabric, but
                the result was not satisfactory to me. The items are available in two
                ways - either the marbled fabric only (and instructions if applicable to
                the item), or in a kit which contains everything necessary to complete
                the project (the fabric, threads, needles, embellishments and
                instructions).
                Monita Mahoney