Marbling Wood

  • melbellock
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
      I want to marble wood bowls that have been lacquered. I have done
      uncoated bowls which I put alum on before marbling, but have never
      tried lacquered bowls. Has anyone had any experience with this and
      any ideas on technique?

      Thanks,
      Melody
    • del.mary.stubbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
        I have worked with marbling on wood for many years now - the wood
        marbling I do is done directly on the wood.. I have never marbled over
        lacquer - but it seems it would be difficult for the alum / marbling to
        adhere to the lacquer. Can you say why you are wanting to marble over
        lacquer - are you doing this to pre-seal the wood? Do you mean clear
        lacquer that is used as a finish?......or lacquered bowls such as
        Japanese lacquer? If you are doing oil marbling - that would adhere to
        the lacquer.

        melbellock wrote:

        > I want to marble wood bowls that have been lacquered. I have done
        > uncoated bowls which I put alum on before marbling, but have never
        > tried lacquered bowls. Has anyone had any experience with this and
        > any ideas on technique?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Melody
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • MELODY BELLOCK
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
          My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

          melbellock wrote:

          > I want to marble wood bowls that have been lacquered. I have done
          > uncoated bowls which I put alum on before marbling, but have never
          > tried lacquered bowls. Has anyone had any experience with this and
          > any ideas on technique?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Melody
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • del.mary.stubbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
            It is my bias that this will not work......BUT........Since I have never
            tried marbling over lacquer, it would not be fair to say it
            absolutely...... but my guess is that the lacquer will resist the alum
            solution. If you try marbling a piece - let us know what happens. It
            could be that if you lightly "rough up" the lacquered surface with 600
            - or maybe even 1200 grit sandpaper, the alum may have something to
            "bite" into.

            MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

            > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
            > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

            [Click Here!]

          • del.mary.stubbs
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
              I thought I should fill this out a bit more....my approach to marbling
              on wood, as mentioned below, is to marble directly onto the wood -
              meaning - no sealer on the wood prior to marbling. I have always done
              it this way, with good success.

              I have been a woodturner for 35 years, so I have a pretty good
              understandinf of the properties of wood. My view is: Just as paper is a
              porous surface to print the marbling on - so is wood. They are both
              "pallets" to hold the marbling. Not all papers work well for
              marbling.....the papers that predictably do not work well, are ones that
              have some sort of "coating" on them. Also - one would not pre-seal the
              paper in order to marble. In some cases there may be reason to use
              sanding sealer or shellac on the wood prior to marbling - these
              "finishes" have the properties/the ability to have other "finishes"
              adhere to them. I have had various degress of success the few times I
              have used sealers prior to aluming and marbling - sometimes, no
              problem....other times.....marbling washed off. Such is the world of
              marbling, heh? There are no absolutes it seems - what works for one,
              does not work for another, and what works for you one time, may not work
              another! Keeps us on our toes.......or humble.....depending on the day,
              right? :-)

              I'm not trying to discourage you from trying marbling over
              lacquer.....mostly wondering if you felt you needed to pre-seal the
              wood, or if it was simply a "new thing to try". If you decide to give
              it a try - as mentioned in my previous post, you could try lightly
              sanding the lacquer to make the alum and the marbling bite into it. I
              neglected to indicate that it is not easy to go back and even lightly
              sand the lacquer so the scratches do not show through - it mostly
              depends on how thick the lacquer is. There are some good cloth backed
              abrasives that would be best to use for this application, if you have
              access to any of those. I would stll be concerned, however, of the
              longevity of the marbling over the lacquer......even if you did lightly
              sand the surface some, I'm not certain that it would be enough to keep
              the marbling intact long term. Seems like it could flake off, unless
              you put another coat of lacquer over it. Hope this helps - Mary Celine
              Thouin (Stubbs)

              MELODY BELLOCK wrote:

              > My husbands turns bowls and lacquer them before I had a chance to
              > marble. He uses a clear lacquer.

              [Click Here!]