Carageenan

  • fongwee
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2003
      Hello all,

      I need some information on carageenan. Does anyone know exactly which
      species of seaweed and its scientific name is best for marbling?

      I looked up and saw a number of species being used. Different species
      have different properties. Thus it would be interesting to know
      whether there is one species which is particularly good for marbling.

      Regards,
      Wee Kim
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2003
        Viscarin GP 209, non food grade is what FMC Corp calls it, but in a shop or
        from marbling supplier just called marbling carrageenan. Store clerks won't
        know about the GP209 names. You cannot order small amounts, must be 55
        pound or kilos, minimum, better to order it by the pound or find a store
        that sells it.

        Iris Nevins
      • Fong Wee Kim
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
          Hi all,

          I still have alum left over around 30kg. I got it at around US$1 per kg.
          Please email me if you want it. I am from Singapore and the shipping to
          US for 5kg alum is US$42 (inclusive of alum). For those in Singapore,
          email me and we can arrange to meet somewhere to get it.

          Anyway I am able to get lambda carageenan at US$20 per kg which is ½
          price of what shops are selling. However the catch is that I need to buy
          25kg. Thus if I hope I can get enough people to share it. Its food-grade
          and is from CP Kelco. Anyone interested, let me know too.

          Regards,
          Wee Kim