Ox-gall

  • fongwee
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2003
      Hi all,

      I am having serious difficulty in obtaining ox-gall locally in
      Singapore. Is there anyone on the list who is from Singapore and
      knows where to get them?

      I am actually contemplating on going to an abbatoir to get it.
      However there isn't any in Singapore so the nearest is Malaysia. Any
      Malaysians marblers on the list can help on this?

      Last of all, if I managed to get it from an abbatoir. Is there
      anything I need to do with it? Afterall it is an animal product and
      would go 'bad'. Is there anyway to preserve it?

      Thanks a lot. (have been going through the archives and learnt a lot)

      Cheers
      Wee Kim
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2003
        Add 25% alcohol to the oxgall, let it sit in a loosely capped jar so any
        gases can escape and not blow up the jar. Sediment will go to the bottom
        after a week, so strain that out. When more settles, keep straining it. The
        top clear liquid can be used right away.

        Rubbing alcohol or ethanol or whatever you can get will work. It will not
        be as strong as the concentrates marblers buy, but it works just fine. It
        will last forever!

        Iris nevins
      • Fong Wee Kim
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2003
          Hi Iris,

          Thank you for the information. What do you mean by not as concentrated?
          Can I make it more concentrated by using a higher percent alcohol.

          Regards,
          Wee Kim

          Add 25% alcohol to the oxgall, let it sit in a loosely capped jar so any
          gases can escape and not blow up the jar. Sediment will go to the bottom
          after a week, so strain that out. When more settles, keep straining it.
          The
          top clear liquid can be used right away.

          Rubbing alcohol or ethanol or whatever you can get will work. It will
          not
          be as strong as the concentrates marblers buy, but it works just fine.
          It
          will last forever!

          Iris nevins

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          785837:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqs
          o=60164784&partid=3170658>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=202147682>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 19, 2003
            no, not more alcohol, I don't know how they do it, except by evaporation.
            I wouldn't worry about it, just use as is.
            iris nevins