[Marbling] Re: sunspot

    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2003
      Were the metallics acrylic? I have had terrible troubles in making a
      watercolr gold that really stays on the paper. I had a good one once, but
      couldn't sell/ship because it built up gasses in the bottle and could
      explode!

      Iris
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2003
        I will see the shaving cream experiment....running the same time as my
        class. I don't know how he does it, haven't looked into it, but i would
        think....if you sprayed it quickly on water (I would think the soap would
        ruin size) and as it started disappearing, quickly lay the paper you might
        get some really soft cloud effects. Just a guess, we will see. Maybe same
        for whipped cream?

        Diane are you out there....? Remember some of the weird stuff Paul Maurer
        used years ago. I won't say. Will leave that up to you and/or Paul!
        Paul....do you check in here?

        Iris Nevins
      • Maria Vernersson
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2003
          It seems as if "my" potash is K2CO3 (small 2, small 3). Haven't even tried
          it yet, as I said, but I will give it a go although it's not the right
          thing.
          By the way, I love your sunspots but isn't the black supposed to be in the
          "pupil" of the "eye"??

          (Galen, you look FAN-TAS-TIC!)

          love
          maria
        • IrisNevins
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2003
            Mine gets mainly to the center, then has lots of eyelashes! LOL!
            Iris
          • Gail MacKenzie
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2003

            • dkmaurer1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                What's this about cream? I think Bailey's Irish Cream would be best. It
                goes in the marbler, not in the marbling tray....I remember someone
                mentioning playing with shaving cream many years ago way back at the San
                Franciso marbling convention.

                Re: Paul. He tried lots of different sizes, but not SC. He did use okra
                once. This is the best use I can think of for the plant, but it was not great
                for marbling. He added all sorts of cosmetics and creams for various
                ailments to paints to make the colors do wierd things like segment or
                reticulate. His greatest, wierdest art experiment was to collect all the dead
                flies from our outdoor light fixtures, pull out their eyes and add it to a
                batch of pulp to make "sparkly paper!"

                He no longer marbles or stalks flies, and is now concentrating on painting
                instead. BTW, it is flattering to know that my $19.95 Marbling book is now
                collectible at $35, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook at $24.95 is much
                better. It shows more art by great American and international marblers and
                also shows Chris Weimann at work on his fabulous marbling with resists and
                stencils. Lots of wierd stuff here, too, like Paul's shoe polish marbling and
                Susan Pogany's marbling using silicone spray and hairspray over floating
                colors.Heck, you could use all sorts of contaminents on top of the shaving
                cream.......

                Best regards to all,
                Diane
                www.dianemaurer.com