Re: [Marbling] sunspot

    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2003
      I believe it should be the K20 kind....that should be a small "2" as in
      chemicals. Can you find out what your kind is? And let us know if it works?

      Thanks,
      Iris
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2003
        Were the metallics acrylic? I have had terrible troubles in making a
        watercolr gold that really stays on the paper. I had a good one once, but
        couldn't sell/ship because it built up gasses in the bottle and could
        explode!

        Iris
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2003
          I will see the shaving cream experiment....running the same time as my
          class. I don't know how he does it, haven't looked into it, but i would
          think....if you sprayed it quickly on water (I would think the soap would
          ruin size) and as it started disappearing, quickly lay the paper you might
          get some really soft cloud effects. Just a guess, we will see. Maybe same
          for whipped cream?

          Diane are you out there....? Remember some of the weird stuff Paul Maurer
          used years ago. I won't say. Will leave that up to you and/or Paul!
          Paul....do you check in here?

          Iris Nevins
        • Maria Vernersson
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2003
            It seems as if "my" potash is K2CO3 (small 2, small 3). Haven't even tried
            it yet, as I said, but I will give it a go although it's not the right
            thing.
            By the way, I love your sunspots but isn't the black supposed to be in the
            "pupil" of the "eye"??

            (Galen, you look FAN-TAS-TIC!)

            love
            maria
          • IrisNevins
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2003
              Mine gets mainly to the center, then has lots of eyelashes! LOL!
              Iris
            • Gail MacKenzie
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2003

              • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                  What's this about cream? I think Bailey's Irish Cream would be best. It
                  goes in the marbler, not in the marbling tray....I remember someone
                  mentioning playing with shaving cream many years ago way back at the San
                  Franciso marbling convention.

                  Re: Paul. He tried lots of different sizes, but not SC. He did use okra
                  once. This is the best use I can think of for the plant, but it was not great
                  for marbling. He added all sorts of cosmetics and creams for various
                  ailments to paints to make the colors do wierd things like segment or
                  reticulate. His greatest, wierdest art experiment was to collect all the dead
                  flies from our outdoor light fixtures, pull out their eyes and add it to a
                  batch of pulp to make "sparkly paper!"

                  He no longer marbles or stalks flies, and is now concentrating on painting
                  instead. BTW, it is flattering to know that my $19.95 Marbling book is now
                  collectible at $35, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook at $24.95 is much
                  better. It shows more art by great American and international marblers and
                  also shows Chris Weimann at work on his fabulous marbling with resists and
                  stencils. Lots of wierd stuff here, too, like Paul's shoe polish marbling and
                  Susan Pogany's marbling using silicone spray and hairspray over floating
                  colors.Heck, you could use all sorts of contaminents on top of the shaving
                  cream.......

                  Best regards to all,
                  Diane
                  www.dianemaurer.com