Re: [Marbling] sunspot

  • Maria Vernersson
    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2003
      Thank you very much, Iris!

      For those of you who live in Scandinavia (?) I've located a guy on the net
      who sells potash (for the purpose of being used in "snus" (snuff/scoal)!).
      He sells 80 grams for 51 SEK plus 11 SEK postage to be paid in advance via
      "postgiro" or "bankgiro" and his address is kenneth@....

      greetings
      maria
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2003
        I believe it should be the K20 kind....that should be a small "2" as in
        chemicals. Can you find out what your kind is? And let us know if it works?

        Thanks,
        Iris
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2003
          Were the metallics acrylic? I have had terrible troubles in making a
          watercolr gold that really stays on the paper. I had a good one once, but
          couldn't sell/ship because it built up gasses in the bottle and could
          explode!

          Iris
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2003
            I will see the shaving cream experiment....running the same time as my
            class. I don't know how he does it, haven't looked into it, but i would
            think....if you sprayed it quickly on water (I would think the soap would
            ruin size) and as it started disappearing, quickly lay the paper you might
            get some really soft cloud effects. Just a guess, we will see. Maybe same
            for whipped cream?

            Diane are you out there....? Remember some of the weird stuff Paul Maurer
            used years ago. I won't say. Will leave that up to you and/or Paul!
            Paul....do you check in here?

            Iris Nevins
          • Maria Vernersson
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2003
              It seems as if "my" potash is K2CO3 (small 2, small 3). Haven't even tried
              it yet, as I said, but I will give it a go although it's not the right
              thing.
              By the way, I love your sunspots but isn't the black supposed to be in the
              "pupil" of the "eye"??

              (Galen, you look FAN-TAS-TIC!)

              love
              maria
            • IrisNevins
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                Mine gets mainly to the center, then has lots of eyelashes! LOL!
                Iris
              • Gail MacKenzie
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2003

                • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                    What's this about cream? I think Bailey's Irish Cream would be best. It
                    goes in the marbler, not in the marbling tray....I remember someone
                    mentioning playing with shaving cream many years ago way back at the San
                    Franciso marbling convention.

                    Re: Paul. He tried lots of different sizes, but not SC. He did use okra
                    once. This is the best use I can think of for the plant, but it was not great
                    for marbling. He added all sorts of cosmetics and creams for various
                    ailments to paints to make the colors do wierd things like segment or
                    reticulate. His greatest, wierdest art experiment was to collect all the dead
                    flies from our outdoor light fixtures, pull out their eyes and add it to a
                    batch of pulp to make "sparkly paper!"

                    He no longer marbles or stalks flies, and is now concentrating on painting
                    instead. BTW, it is flattering to know that my $19.95 Marbling book is now
                    collectible at $35, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook at $24.95 is much
                    better. It shows more art by great American and international marblers and
                    also shows Chris Weimann at work on his fabulous marbling with resists and
                    stencils. Lots of wierd stuff here, too, like Paul's shoe polish marbling and
                    Susan Pogany's marbling using silicone spray and hairspray over floating
                    colors.Heck, you could use all sorts of contaminents on top of the shaving
                    cream.......

                    Best regards to all,
                    Diane
                    www.dianemaurer.com