Re: sunspot

  • Sue Walters
    Message 1 of 13 , May 7, 2003
      Wow....these are amazing Iris! Okay...adding That to my list of
      things to try and play with.
      I can get potash easily here so this should be interesting. Thanks
      for the tutorial:)
      I've been playing with metal paints lately and have loved the
      effect. Happily all silver, copper and gold floated like a dream and
      they make a nice addition to the varieties possible, but I sure will
      have to try the sunspots now as well.
      Hmmm....wonder when I'll find time for my other art...this marbling
      is too much fun.
      Sue:)
    • Maria Vernersson
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2003
        Thank you very much, Iris!

        For those of you who live in Scandinavia (?) I've located a guy on the net
        who sells potash (for the purpose of being used in "snus" (snuff/scoal)!).
        He sells 80 grams for 51 SEK plus 11 SEK postage to be paid in advance via
        "postgiro" or "bankgiro" and his address is kenneth@....

        greetings
        maria
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2003
          I believe it should be the K20 kind....that should be a small "2" as in
          chemicals. Can you find out what your kind is? And let us know if it works?

          Thanks,
          Iris
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2003
            Were the metallics acrylic? I have had terrible troubles in making a
            watercolr gold that really stays on the paper. I had a good one once, but
            couldn't sell/ship because it built up gasses in the bottle and could
            explode!

            Iris
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2003
              I will see the shaving cream experiment....running the same time as my
              class. I don't know how he does it, haven't looked into it, but i would
              think....if you sprayed it quickly on water (I would think the soap would
              ruin size) and as it started disappearing, quickly lay the paper you might
              get some really soft cloud effects. Just a guess, we will see. Maybe same
              for whipped cream?

              Diane are you out there....? Remember some of the weird stuff Paul Maurer
              used years ago. I won't say. Will leave that up to you and/or Paul!
              Paul....do you check in here?

              Iris Nevins
            • Maria Vernersson
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                It seems as if "my" potash is K2CO3 (small 2, small 3). Haven't even tried
                it yet, as I said, but I will give it a go although it's not the right
                thing.
                By the way, I love your sunspots but isn't the black supposed to be in the
                "pupil" of the "eye"??

                (Galen, you look FAN-TAS-TIC!)

                love
                maria
              • IrisNevins
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                  Mine gets mainly to the center, then has lots of eyelashes! LOL!
                  Iris
                • Gail MacKenzie
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2003

                  • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                      What's this about cream? I think Bailey's Irish Cream would be best. It
                      goes in the marbler, not in the marbling tray....I remember someone
                      mentioning playing with shaving cream many years ago way back at the San
                      Franciso marbling convention.

                      Re: Paul. He tried lots of different sizes, but not SC. He did use okra
                      once. This is the best use I can think of for the plant, but it was not great
                      for marbling. He added all sorts of cosmetics and creams for various
                      ailments to paints to make the colors do wierd things like segment or
                      reticulate. His greatest, wierdest art experiment was to collect all the dead
                      flies from our outdoor light fixtures, pull out their eyes and add it to a
                      batch of pulp to make "sparkly paper!"

                      He no longer marbles or stalks flies, and is now concentrating on painting
                      instead. BTW, it is flattering to know that my $19.95 Marbling book is now
                      collectible at $35, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook at $24.95 is much
                      better. It shows more art by great American and international marblers and
                      also shows Chris Weimann at work on his fabulous marbling with resists and
                      stencils. Lots of wierd stuff here, too, like Paul's shoe polish marbling and
                      Susan Pogany's marbling using silicone spray and hairspray over floating
                      colors.Heck, you could use all sorts of contaminents on top of the shaving
                      cream.......

                      Best regards to all,
                      Diane
                      www.dianemaurer.com