Re: [Marbling] sunspot

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2003
      Thanks for getting these images out here! They are a real visual treat!
      ( And I want a Complete report on the shaving creme experiments! Sounds
      like it's going to be a great deal of Fun!)
      :)
      Jill

      > If any of you want to see samples they are at my site at the top of the
      > samples section.
      > www.marblingpaper.com
      > Iris Nevins
    • Sue Walters
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7, 2003
        Wow....these are amazing Iris! Okay...adding That to my list of
        things to try and play with.
        I can get potash easily here so this should be interesting. Thanks
        for the tutorial:)
        I've been playing with metal paints lately and have loved the
        effect. Happily all silver, copper and gold floated like a dream and
        they make a nice addition to the varieties possible, but I sure will
        have to try the sunspots now as well.
        Hmmm....wonder when I'll find time for my other art...this marbling
        is too much fun.
        Sue:)
      • Maria Vernersson
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2003
          Thank you very much, Iris!

          For those of you who live in Scandinavia (?) I've located a guy on the net
          who sells potash (for the purpose of being used in "snus" (snuff/scoal)!).
          He sells 80 grams for 51 SEK plus 11 SEK postage to be paid in advance via
          "postgiro" or "bankgiro" and his address is kenneth@....

          greetings
          maria
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2003
            I believe it should be the K20 kind....that should be a small "2" as in
            chemicals. Can you find out what your kind is? And let us know if it works?

            Thanks,
            Iris
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2003
              Were the metallics acrylic? I have had terrible troubles in making a
              watercolr gold that really stays on the paper. I had a good one once, but
              couldn't sell/ship because it built up gasses in the bottle and could
              explode!

              Iris
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                I will see the shaving cream experiment....running the same time as my
                class. I don't know how he does it, haven't looked into it, but i would
                think....if you sprayed it quickly on water (I would think the soap would
                ruin size) and as it started disappearing, quickly lay the paper you might
                get some really soft cloud effects. Just a guess, we will see. Maybe same
                for whipped cream?

                Diane are you out there....? Remember some of the weird stuff Paul Maurer
                used years ago. I won't say. Will leave that up to you and/or Paul!
                Paul....do you check in here?

                Iris Nevins
              • Maria Vernersson
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                  It seems as if "my" potash is K2CO3 (small 2, small 3). Haven't even tried
                  it yet, as I said, but I will give it a go although it's not the right
                  thing.
                  By the way, I love your sunspots but isn't the black supposed to be in the
                  "pupil" of the "eye"??

                  (Galen, you look FAN-TAS-TIC!)

                  love
                  maria
                • IrisNevins
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                    Mine gets mainly to the center, then has lots of eyelashes! LOL!
                    Iris
                  • Gail MacKenzie
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2003

                    • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                        What's this about cream? I think Bailey's Irish Cream would be best. It
                        goes in the marbler, not in the marbling tray....I remember someone
                        mentioning playing with shaving cream many years ago way back at the San
                        Franciso marbling convention.

                        Re: Paul. He tried lots of different sizes, but not SC. He did use okra
                        once. This is the best use I can think of for the plant, but it was not great
                        for marbling. He added all sorts of cosmetics and creams for various
                        ailments to paints to make the colors do wierd things like segment or
                        reticulate. His greatest, wierdest art experiment was to collect all the dead
                        flies from our outdoor light fixtures, pull out their eyes and add it to a
                        batch of pulp to make "sparkly paper!"

                        He no longer marbles or stalks flies, and is now concentrating on painting
                        instead. BTW, it is flattering to know that my $19.95 Marbling book is now
                        collectible at $35, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook at $24.95 is much
                        better. It shows more art by great American and international marblers and
                        also shows Chris Weimann at work on his fabulous marbling with resists and
                        stencils. Lots of wierd stuff here, too, like Paul's shoe polish marbling and
                        Susan Pogany's marbling using silicone spray and hairspray over floating
                        colors.Heck, you could use all sorts of contaminents on top of the shaving
                        cream.......

                        Best regards to all,
                        Diane
                        www.dianemaurer.com