Re: [Marbling] sunspot

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2003
      Thanks for getting these images out here! They are a real visual treat!
      ( And I want a Complete report on the shaving creme experiments! Sounds
      like it's going to be a great deal of Fun!)
      :)
      Jill

      Message 2 of 13 , May 7, 2003
        Well, consider this a starting point. I only have used this with my own
        paints, not all brands. It may or may not work with others, it may work
        better with some for that matter. I do not intend to try it on all brands,
        so will rely on reports from others....should be interesting.

        While I should be working and replenishing stock, I am rather obsessed with
        perfecting the sunspot and my shelves are practically empty of all other
        patterns! No one should be allowed to have this much fun...and I have yet
        to try the shaving cream.

        If any of you want to see samples they are at my site at the top of the
        samples section.
        www.marblingpaper.com

        Wow!
        Thanks for sharing, Iris! I can't wait to try this!
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

        Sender:
        sentto-412943-1708-1052342289-irisnevins=compuserve.com@...
        o.com
        o.com
        To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
        From: carylhanc@...
        Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:16:59 EDT
        Subject: Re: [Marbling] sunspot

        <
      • Sue Walters
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7, 2003
          Wow....these are amazing Iris! Okay...adding That to my list of
          things to try and play with.
          I can get potash easily here so this should be interesting. Thanks
          for the tutorial:)
          I've been playing with metal paints lately and have loved the
          effect. Happily all silver, copper and gold floated like a dream and
          they make a nice addition to the varieties possible, but I sure will
          have to try the sunspots now as well.
          Hmmm....wonder when I'll find time for my other art...this marbling
          is too much fun.
          Sue:)
        • Maria Vernersson
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2003
            Thank you very much, Iris!

            For those of you who live in Scandinavia (?) I've located a guy on the net
            who sells potash (for the purpose of being used in "snus" (snuff/scoal)!).
            He sells 80 grams for 51 SEK plus 11 SEK postage to be paid in advance via
            "postgiro" or "bankgiro" and his address is kenneth@....

            greetings
            maria
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2003
              I believe it should be the K20 kind....that should be a small "2" as in
              chemicals. Can you find out what your kind is? And let us know if it works?

              Thanks,
              Iris
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                Were the metallics acrylic? I have had terrible troubles in making a
                watercolr gold that really stays on the paper. I had a good one once, but
                couldn't sell/ship because it built up gasses in the bottle and could
                explode!

                Iris
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                  I will see the shaving cream experiment....running the same time as my
                  class. I don't know how he does it, haven't looked into it, but i would
                  think....if you sprayed it quickly on water (I would think the soap would
                  ruin size) and as it started disappearing, quickly lay the paper you might
                  get some really soft cloud effects. Just a guess, we will see. Maybe same
                  for whipped cream?

                  Diane are you out there....? Remember some of the weird stuff Paul Maurer
                  used years ago. I won't say. Will leave that up to you and/or Paul!
                  Paul....do you check in here?

                  Iris Nevins
                • Maria Vernersson
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                    It seems as if "my" potash is K2CO3 (small 2, small 3). Haven't even tried
                    it yet, as I said, but I will give it a go although it's not the right
                    thing.
                    By the way, I love your sunspots but isn't the black supposed to be in the
                    "pupil" of the "eye"??

                    (Galen, you look FAN-TAS-TIC!)

                    love
                    maria
                  • IrisNevins
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                      Mine gets mainly to the center, then has lots of eyelashes! LOL!
                      Iris
                    • Gail MacKenzie
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 8, 2003

                      • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                          What's this about cream? I think Bailey's Irish Cream would be best. It
                          goes in the marbler, not in the marbling tray....I remember someone
                          mentioning playing with shaving cream many years ago way back at the San
                          Franciso marbling convention.

                          Re: Paul. He tried lots of different sizes, but not SC. He did use okra
                          once. This is the best use I can think of for the plant, but it was not great
                          for marbling. He added all sorts of cosmetics and creams for various
                          ailments to paints to make the colors do wierd things like segment or
                          reticulate. His greatest, wierdest art experiment was to collect all the dead
                          flies from our outdoor light fixtures, pull out their eyes and add it to a
                          batch of pulp to make "sparkly paper!"

                          He no longer marbles or stalks flies, and is now concentrating on painting
                          instead. BTW, it is flattering to know that my $19.95 Marbling book is now
                          collectible at $35, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook at $24.95 is much
                          better. It shows more art by great American and international marblers and
                          also shows Chris Weimann at work on his fabulous marbling with resists and
                          stencils. Lots of wierd stuff here, too, like Paul's shoe polish marbling and
                          Susan Pogany's marbling using silicone spray and hairspray over floating
                          colors.Heck, you could use all sorts of contaminents on top of the shaving
                          cream.......

                          Best regards to all,
                          Diane
                          www.dianemaurer.com