Re: [Marbling] sunspot

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6 6:59 PM
      Thanks for getting these images out here! They are a real visual treat!
      ( And I want a Complete report on the shaving creme experiments! Sounds
      like it's going to be a great deal of Fun!)
      :)
      Jill

    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7 2:16 PM
        Wow!
        Thanks for sharing, Iris! I can't wait to try this!
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7 4:57 PM
          Well, consider this a starting point. I only have used this with my own
          paints, not all brands. It may or may not work with others, it may work
          better with some for that matter. I do not intend to try it on all brands,
          so will rely on reports from others....should be interesting.

          While I should be working and replenishing stock, I am rather obsessed with
          perfecting the sunspot and my shelves are practically empty of all other
          patterns! No one should be allowed to have this much fun...and I have yet
          to try the shaving cream.

          If any of you want to see samples they are at my site at the top of the
          samples section.
          www.marblingpaper.com

          Wow!
          Thanks for sharing, Iris! I can't wait to try this!
          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

          Sender:
          sentto-412943-1708-1052342289-irisnevins=compuserve.com@...
          o.com
          o.com
          To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
          From: carylhanc@...
          Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:16:59 EDT
          Subject: Re: [Marbling] sunspot

          <
        • Sue Walters
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7 7:36 PM
            Wow....these are amazing Iris! Okay...adding That to my list of
            things to try and play with.
            I can get potash easily here so this should be interesting. Thanks
            for the tutorial:)
            I've been playing with metal paints lately and have loved the
            effect. Happily all silver, copper and gold floated like a dream and
            they make a nice addition to the varieties possible, but I sure will
            have to try the sunspots now as well.
            Hmmm....wonder when I'll find time for my other art...this marbling
            is too much fun.
            Sue:)
          • Maria Vernersson
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8 3:29 AM
              Thank you very much, Iris!

              For those of you who live in Scandinavia (?) I've located a guy on the net
              who sells potash (for the purpose of being used in "snus" (snuff/scoal)!).
              He sells 80 grams for 51 SEK plus 11 SEK postage to be paid in advance via
              "postgiro" or "bankgiro" and his address is kenneth@....

              greetings
              maria
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8 4:58 AM
                I believe it should be the K20 kind....that should be a small "2" as in
                chemicals. Can you find out what your kind is? And let us know if it works?

                Thanks,
                Iris
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8 5:06 AM
                  Were the metallics acrylic? I have had terrible troubles in making a
                  watercolr gold that really stays on the paper. I had a good one once, but
                  couldn't sell/ship because it built up gasses in the bottle and could
                  explode!

                  Iris
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8 5:13 AM
                    I will see the shaving cream experiment....running the same time as my
                    class. I don't know how he does it, haven't looked into it, but i would
                    think....if you sprayed it quickly on water (I would think the soap would
                    ruin size) and as it started disappearing, quickly lay the paper you might
                    get some really soft cloud effects. Just a guess, we will see. Maybe same
                    for whipped cream?

                    Diane are you out there....? Remember some of the weird stuff Paul Maurer
                    used years ago. I won't say. Will leave that up to you and/or Paul!
                    Paul....do you check in here?

                    Iris Nevins
                  • Maria Vernersson
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8 8:01 AM
                      It seems as if "my" potash is K2CO3 (small 2, small 3). Haven't even tried
                      it yet, as I said, but I will give it a go although it's not the right
                      thing.
                      By the way, I love your sunspots but isn't the black supposed to be in the
                      "pupil" of the "eye"??

                      (Galen, you look FAN-TAS-TIC!)

                      love
                      maria
                    • IrisNevins
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 8 9:59 AM
                        Mine gets mainly to the center, then has lots of eyelashes! LOL!
                        Iris
                      • Gail MacKenzie
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 8 12:53 PM

                        • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 8 2:31 PM
                            What's this about cream? I think Bailey's Irish Cream would be best. It
                            goes in the marbler, not in the marbling tray....I remember someone
                            mentioning playing with shaving cream many years ago way back at the San
                            Franciso marbling convention.

                            Re: Paul. He tried lots of different sizes, but not SC. He did use okra
                            once. This is the best use I can think of for the plant, but it was not great
                            for marbling. He added all sorts of cosmetics and creams for various
                            ailments to paints to make the colors do wierd things like segment or
                            reticulate. His greatest, wierdest art experiment was to collect all the dead
                            flies from our outdoor light fixtures, pull out their eyes and add it to a
                            batch of pulp to make "sparkly paper!"

                            He no longer marbles or stalks flies, and is now concentrating on painting
                            instead. BTW, it is flattering to know that my $19.95 Marbling book is now
                            collectible at $35, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook at $24.95 is much
                            better. It shows more art by great American and international marblers and
                            also shows Chris Weimann at work on his fabulous marbling with resists and
                            stencils. Lots of wierd stuff here, too, like Paul's shoe polish marbling and
                            Susan Pogany's marbling using silicone spray and hairspray over floating
                            colors.Heck, you could use all sorts of contaminents on top of the shaving
                            cream.......

                            Best regards to all,
                            Diane
                            www.dianemaurer.com