Re: [Marbling] sunspot

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2003
      Thanks for getting these images out here! They are a real visual treat!
      ( And I want a Complete report on the shaving creme experiments! Sounds
      like it's going to be a great deal of Fun!)
      :)
      Jill

      > If any of you want to see samples they are at my site at the top of the
      > samples section.
      > www.marblingpaper.com
      > Iris Nevins
    • IrisNevins
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7, 2003
        SUNSPOT OR TIGER EYE PATTERN

        I have literally tried to figure this design out for 25 years. I have found
        odd instructions for it using blood albumen, and other strange ingedients
        not too available! Potash was the one mentioned most....but how much...and
        the bigger problem, where to find it. It can be found from chemical
        suppliers but you usually have to buy many pounds of it, and there is a
        hazardous shipping charge. They don't seem to want to let you have samples
        either.

        I finally located potash at a garden supply store. I had been to dozens
        with no luck and finally found a store that carried it (they will not
        ship).This is not even pure potash, but it works. It is 0-0-60 they call
        it....it is 60% soluble potash, K20 (that should be a small 2, but my
        program doesn't allow it).

        OK, I found it....now what. "Formulas" tend to say "use some". great! Well
        I tried varying amounts, until I found that you need way more than I
        imagined! What I finally found is best to do is to get a mortar and pestle
        and pound away at a few tablespoons of this compound that looks like rock
        salt. It has some impurities, but they don't seem to matter. I add a little
        of my black marbling paint to do this grinding. It takes a few minutes and
        there may be a tiny bit of sludge left at bottom. I add enough paint to
        make a rather light creamy consistency, then add several drops of ox-gall
        to the mix.

        Test this on your size (I use carrageenan, but others may work) and if it
        sinks or is too dense add more water and a little more gall. If it is used
        too thick, though the spots look great on the paper, they will rinse or run
        off. You have to find the right balance.

        I realize in a way this is almost as vague as the old formulas.....however
        it works differently on different days even with the same brand of paints
        (I use both watercolor and acrylic with this) .If the paint "clumps"
        visibly in the center of the eye, that is an indication the paint is too
        thick...add a little water and gall.

        It is very difficult to give a precise formula with amounts of this or that
        in marbling because every different kind of paint will react differently. I
        don't even mean from acrylic to watercolor to oil,but from brand to brand
        of the same type paint will also react differently. Then you have the
        variable of type of size, thickness of paint, the weather, etc.

        I hope this give you a good starting point for experimentation with this
        elusive and beautifull pattern.

        Iris
      • carylhanc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7, 2003
          Wow!
          Thanks for sharing, Iris! I can't wait to try this!
          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7, 2003
            Well, consider this a starting point. I only have used this with my own
            paints, not all brands. It may or may not work with others, it may work
            better with some for that matter. I do not intend to try it on all brands,
            so will rely on reports from others....should be interesting.

            While I should be working and replenishing stock, I am rather obsessed with
            perfecting the sunspot and my shelves are practically empty of all other
            patterns! No one should be allowed to have this much fun...and I have yet
            to try the shaving cream.

            If any of you want to see samples they are at my site at the top of the
            samples section.
            www.marblingpaper.com

            Wow!
            Thanks for sharing, Iris! I can't wait to try this!
            Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

            Sender:
            sentto-412943-1708-1052342289-irisnevins=compuserve.com@...
            o.com
            o.com
            To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
            From: carylhanc@...
            Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:16:59 EDT
            Subject: Re: [Marbling] sunspot

            <
          • Sue Walters
            Message 5 of 13 , May 7, 2003
              Wow....these are amazing Iris! Okay...adding That to my list of
              things to try and play with.
              I can get potash easily here so this should be interesting. Thanks
              for the tutorial:)
              I've been playing with metal paints lately and have loved the
              effect. Happily all silver, copper and gold floated like a dream and
              they make a nice addition to the varieties possible, but I sure will
              have to try the sunspots now as well.
              Hmmm....wonder when I'll find time for my other art...this marbling
              is too much fun.
              Sue:)
            • Maria Vernersson
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                Thank you very much, Iris!

                For those of you who live in Scandinavia (?) I've located a guy on the net
                who sells potash (for the purpose of being used in "snus" (snuff/scoal)!).
                He sells 80 grams for 51 SEK plus 11 SEK postage to be paid in advance via
                "postgiro" or "bankgiro" and his address is kenneth@....

                greetings
                maria
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                  I believe it should be the K20 kind....that should be a small "2" as in
                  chemicals. Can you find out what your kind is? And let us know if it works?

                  Thanks,
                  Iris
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                    Were the metallics acrylic? I have had terrible troubles in making a
                    watercolr gold that really stays on the paper. I had a good one once, but
                    couldn't sell/ship because it built up gasses in the bottle and could
                    explode!

                    Iris
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                      I will see the shaving cream experiment....running the same time as my
                      class. I don't know how he does it, haven't looked into it, but i would
                      think....if you sprayed it quickly on water (I would think the soap would
                      ruin size) and as it started disappearing, quickly lay the paper you might
                      get some really soft cloud effects. Just a guess, we will see. Maybe same
                      for whipped cream?

                      Diane are you out there....? Remember some of the weird stuff Paul Maurer
                      used years ago. I won't say. Will leave that up to you and/or Paul!
                      Paul....do you check in here?

                      Iris Nevins
                    • Maria Vernersson
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                        It seems as if "my" potash is K2CO3 (small 2, small 3). Haven't even tried
                        it yet, as I said, but I will give it a go although it's not the right
                        thing.
                        By the way, I love your sunspots but isn't the black supposed to be in the
                        "pupil" of the "eye"??

                        (Galen, you look FAN-TAS-TIC!)

                        love
                        maria
                      • IrisNevins
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                          Mine gets mainly to the center, then has lots of eyelashes! LOL!
                          Iris
                        • Gail MacKenzie
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 8, 2003

                          • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                              What's this about cream? I think Bailey's Irish Cream would be best. It
                              goes in the marbler, not in the marbling tray....I remember someone
                              mentioning playing with shaving cream many years ago way back at the San
                              Franciso marbling convention.

                              Re: Paul. He tried lots of different sizes, but not SC. He did use okra
                              once. This is the best use I can think of for the plant, but it was not great
                              for marbling. He added all sorts of cosmetics and creams for various
                              ailments to paints to make the colors do wierd things like segment or
                              reticulate. His greatest, wierdest art experiment was to collect all the dead
                              flies from our outdoor light fixtures, pull out their eyes and add it to a
                              batch of pulp to make "sparkly paper!"

                              He no longer marbles or stalks flies, and is now concentrating on painting
                              instead. BTW, it is flattering to know that my $19.95 Marbling book is now
                              collectible at $35, but The Ultimate Marbling Handbook at $24.95 is much
                              better. It shows more art by great American and international marblers and
                              also shows Chris Weimann at work on his fabulous marbling with resists and
                              stencils. Lots of wierd stuff here, too, like Paul's shoe polish marbling and
                              Susan Pogany's marbling using silicone spray and hairspray over floating
                              colors.Heck, you could use all sorts of contaminents on top of the shaving
                              cream.......

                              Best regards to all,
                              Diane
                              www.dianemaurer.com