Re: [Marbling] Marbling Books

  • Maria Vernersson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7 1:07 AM
      It would be very sweet of you if you could have it reprinted here... I
      thought I'd have a go at sunspots one of these weeks - now I think I'd
      better wait until after I've read your article.

      thanks
      maria
    • cfloate
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
        Hi Iris,

        I would be interested in getting a copy of your article on sunspots.
        Thanks,
        Carole Floate

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
          I do not have physical copies of it, it is in the archives of the marbling
          group, it was just an emailed article. If you want a physical copy you may
          be able to get a back issue from the Guild of Bookworkers.....I don't know
          where or how, you would have to look them up online and see what the
          procedure is,
          thanks

          Hi Iris,

          I would be interested in getting a copy of your article on sunspots.
          Thanks,
          Carole Floate<
        • Oak Knoll Books
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
            Hi
            We thought you might like to know about an incredible new book on marbling
            that has just been printed. And while we are at it, here is a list of other
            books on the subject for your amusement. See images of most of them using
            the following link to our web site.
            Bob Fleck

            Marbling Books at
            <http://www.oakknoll.com/results.php?s_Catnr=874&s_ShowPics=1>

            ************************************************************************************************************************
            KARLI FRIGGE'S LIFE IN MARBLING.
            By Berger, Sidney E.
            First edition, limited to only 140 numbered copies printed by hand in
            Garamond by Henry Morris. Karli Frigge (born in 1943) is an internationally
            recognized leader in marbling. Since 1964, she has dedicated her life to
            the art of marbling and bookbinding. Her work is truly original, often
            combining marbling with calligraphic elements. She excells in multiple
            marblings of utmost delicacy and transparency. Much of the text of this
            book is taken from Frigge's correspondences and her own books. This volume
            includes 18 large marbled specimens.
            2004, cloth, slipcase, small 4to. 78 pages.
            Order No. 078040, Price: $325.00
            ************************************************************************************************************************

            MARBLED LANDSCAPES.
            By Frigge, Karli.
            First edition, limited to 99 numbered copies signed by the author. "This is
            a booklet with delicate little landscapes, shaped by the troubles of
            everyday life." Introduction by Frigge printed in English and Dutch, in
            black and sepia-colored ink. Willem de Valk is responsible for the lay-out
            and the capitals of the title page. The English translation is by Mies
            Polak-Greve. With twelve tipped in marble papers, their artful and organic
            compositions evoke an array of landscapes and times of day.
            (1988), vellum spine stamped in gold, parchment-backed marbled paper
            covered boards, paper cover label., oblong 8vo. (12) pages, 12 plates with
            mounted marbled paper specimens, (4) pages.
            Order No. 025704, Price: $540.00

            MARBLED PLANTS.
            By Frigge, Karli.
            First edition, limited to 55 numbered copies signed by the author.
            Introduction by Frigge printed in English and Dutch, in grey and
            sepia-colored ink. Willem de Valk is responsible for the layout and the
            capitals of the title page. The English translation is by Mies Polak-Greve.
            The elegant marbled paper examples in this book are reminiscent of pressed
            leaves; they are inspired by the artist's conception of different plants.
            (1988), vellum spine stamped in gold, parchment-backed marbled paper
            covered boards, paper cover label., tall 8vo. (7) pages, 6 plates with
            mounted marbled paper specimens, (4) pages.
            Order No. 025706, Price: $310.00

            LEATHER BOOKS, AN ILLUSTRATED HANDBOOK.
            By Frigge, Karli.
            Limited to 415 copies, including 370 in this binding. In this illustrated
            handbook expert bookbinder Karli Frigge explains two methods of binding in
            leather based on sewing the gatherings onto leather thongs, which are in
            turn drawn through boards. With 75 drawings; "intended for advanced
            bookbinders." Some of the processes illustrated (making a headcap, backing
            a spine, making a hollow, sewing, gluing) are more widely applicable in
            binding.
            1997), sewn, stiff paper wrappers., tall large 8vo. 3-90, (2) pages.
            Order No. 053163, Price: $37.50

            ALL OF KARLI FRIGGE'S SAMPLE BOOKS.
            By Frigge, Karli.
            Limited Edition. Complete collection of marbling artist Karli Frigge's
            sample cards, this book serves as a chart of her creative development and
            experimentation. Contains 349 tipped-in samples of exquisite marbled
            papers. She writes in the colophon: "The sample cards were returned to me
            by bookbinders, picture framers, box makers, schoolteachers and
            daydreamers. To retrieve some of the cards, I had to trade some sheets of
            marbled paper, for some I had to pay good money, and some cards were
            acquired with sheer black magic. Therefor, there are a few copies only."
            Introduction by Sidney Berger, a paper historian and collector. The title
            calligraphy on the cover was done by hand by Evert van Dijk. Unusual
            binding, bound in Frigge's own method.
            (2001), leather spine with raised bands, marbled cloth-covered boards, sewn
            plastic slipcase, oblong 4to. (90) pages.
            Order No. 073813, Price: $1,200.00

            MARBLED FLOWERS.
            By Frigge, Karli.
            Edition limited to fifty-five signed and numbered copies. Includes five
            matted marbled papers. The Dutch artist creates abstract flowers composed
            of rich, luminous patterns of color. They are made by marbling each sheet
            eight or nine times over again. Also includes an essay, in both Dutch and
            English, where she describes her inspirations and working process. Title
            calligraphy by Stan van der Weyer. The book is bound by the artist.
            (1990), leather spine, wooden boards, laced with parchment straps, cloth
            case, oblong folio (26) pages with 5 additional color plates.
            Order No. 073819, Price: $1,500.00

            SAMPLE BOOK OF SEYMOUR.
            By Frigge, Karli, text by Lietje van Hovell tot Westerflier.
            Printed in an edition limited to 75 numbered and signed copies. Realized by
            Karli Frigge, this is the second in a series of Sample books. Includes a
            history of Edward Seymour (1898-1979) and the Fancy Paper Company, London,
            written by Lietje van Hovell tot Westerflier. Paper was being made at that
            time by the bench process as well as by trough marbling, Seymour's first
            love. Seymour made his own colors after an old formula and polished the
            papers by hand with agate polishing stone, this enabled him to produce
            remarkable papers in traditional patterns. Marbling was often made a
            mystery by those who practiced it, being confined to separate areas to
            prevent others learning the techniques. About 1971, Edward Seymour "walked
            out of his shop, leaving his work as though he expected to return soon, and
            was not heard from again." The Fancy Paper Company was dissolved in 1975.
            With thirty-five color samples of trough marbles and bench paper, all from
            the collection of Tanya Schmoller. Accordion binding.
            1993), cloth with paper sample inset on cover, slipcase, narrow 4to. (xii),
            11+(3) pages.
            Order No. 073838, Price: $210.00

            SAMPLE BOOK OF THE FANCY PAPER FACTORY ASCHAFFENBURG.
            By Frigge, Karli.
            Limited edition of 110 signed and numbered copies. Original samples of 90
            decorated papers on twenty-six accordion-fold pages; they cover the 150
            year history of this fine paper factory in Aschaffenburg, Germany. Karli
            Frigge provides a history of the factory which began in 1811 and closed in
            1968. During this time it was Europe's largest factory for decorated,
            marbled and embossed papers. Frigge also describes their techniques and
            includes a brief bibliography. The samples show marbled papers, paste
            paper, roller-printed end-papers, heavily embossed and roller-embossed
            papers, and leather and wood imitation papers.
            1993), cloth with paper sample inset on cover, slipcase, narrow 8vo. (xx),
            26+(4) pages.
            Order No. 073845, Price: $330.00

            YEAR IN A MARBLER'S WORKSHOP, HARVESTING COLOUR.|A.
            By Muir, Ann.
            First edition, limited to 250 numbered and signed copies of which this is
            one of 25 special copies containing a unique ebru frontiespiece and a
            matched binding in a clamshell box.. A biographical memoir aranged
            paired with a large fold-out marbled specimen. She begins her book in
            January as she starts a new year in her marbling workshop in St. Algar's
            Farmyard. As she leads us through the year she retraces her career, sharing
            the ups and downs of her fifteen years as a marbler. Each marbled sheet is
            9 inches tall and unfolds to 20 inches, an unusually large sheet to display
            the beautiful detail of each design. Included is an introduction by Barry
            McKay.
            (1999), half-bound in buckram with marbled paper boards, cloth slipcase,
            paper spine label., small 4to. 96 pages.
            Order No. 058948, Price: $650.00

            ART OF MARBLING.|THE.
            By Weisse, Franz.
            Limited to 300 numbered copies. This manual by Weisse, one of the great
            German marblers and teachers, was originally published in 1940. It is an
            excellent overall study of the craft and the most detailed and
            comprehensive work written on the fantasy type of marbling and includes a
            discussion of "overmarbling" paper. The bulk of the first edition was
            destroyed by Allied bombing and hence very difficult to find. Wolfe has
            provided an excellent introduction. Prospectus, which has a piece of
            marbled paper pasted on it, is loosely inserted
            1980, leather spine, marbled paper over boards., 4to. 79 pages and 14
            tipped-in specimen sheets.
            Order No. 042219, Price: $500.00

            MYSTERIOUS MARBLER WITH AN HISTORICAL INTRODUCTION, NOTES AND 11 ORIGINAL
            MARBLED SAMPLES BY RICHARD J. WOLFE.|THE.
            By Sumner, James.
            First edition, one of about 250 copies. (Taylor A18). A reprint of this
            manual on marbling which first appeared in 1854. Marbling had much been
            practiced as a "secret art" until the 1850's. This little manual
            supplemented an earlier manual by Charles Woolnough published in 1851.
            Presentation from Henry Morris on the colophon page.
            1976, quarter blue leather over marbled paper covered boards., 8vo. 71 pages.
            Order No. 023254, Price: $475.00

            BUNTPAPIER, HERKOMMEN, GESCHICHTE, TECHNIKEN, BEZIEHUNGEN ZUR KUNST.
            By Haemmerle, Albert.
            Issued on the 150th anniversary of this firm. The history of decorated and
            marbled paper with 155 illustrations and eighteen actual paper specimens
            tipped-in. Has a thirteen page bibliography of the subject done in triple
            column and descriptions of 664 examples of decorated paper. Jacket chipped.
            (1961), decorated boards, dust jacket., 4to. 251 pages.
            Order No. 016131, Price: $375.00

            AMERICAN DECORATIVE PAPERMAKERS, THE WORK & SPECIMENS OF TWELVE CRAFT ARTISTS.
            By
            First edition, one of the 200 numbered copies bound in half leather by the
            Harcourt Bindery. A study of marbling with an introduction by Don Guyot,
            essays and tipped-in specimens by ten marblers, technical notes, and a
            bibliography of the subject. Finely printed at the Naiman Press. Includes a
            woodegraving by Michael McCurdy.
            (1983), half leather over cloth., oblong 8vo. 65, (3) pages.
            Order No. 005313, Price: $300.00

            ON IMPROVEMENTS IN MARBLING THE EDGES OF BOOKS AND PAPER, A NINETEENTH
            CENTURY MARBLING ACCOUNT EXPLAINED AND ILLUSTRATED WITH FOURTEEN ORIGINAL
            MARBLED SAMPLES.
            By Wolfe, Richard J.
            First edition, limited to 350 numbered copies. Reprints the first American
            Treatise on Marbling, an account which appears in the April, 1829 issue of
            the Journal of the Franklin Institute with additional text by Wolfe.
            Beautifully printed on handmade paper.
            1983, quarter leather over marbled paper covered boards, leather tips.,
            oblong 12mo. 64 pages followed by the tipped-in samples.
            Order No. 000462, Price: $250.00

            Oak Knoll Books
            310 Delaware Street New Castle DE 19720
            P: 302.328.7232 - F: 302.328.7274 - E: oakknoll@... web
            http://www.oakknoll.com/
            Member Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America (ABAA)
            http://www.abaa.org/
            International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) http://www.ilab.org
            Buy with confidence of consumer protection when you buy from an ILAB
            bookseller

          • dguff
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2009
              To AhmedK

              I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my e-mail...my books are not for sale, but you can find copies of these titles on Amazon.com

              d.gufey