Marbling Books

  • Oak Knoll Books
    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2003
      I became fascinated with marbling when, as a young child, I took a school
      tour of the Government Printing Office in Washington DC. Part of the tour
      showed how marbling was done and they even gave us some small samples of
      marbled paper. What treasures they were to young minds with their
      beautiful colors swirling around. To this day a book bound with marbled
      endpapers is especially pleasing and as I write this think I should try my
      hand at marbling again. I have played at marbling on several occasions but
      have always been disappointed I could never achieve the brilliance and form
      of those papers I remember from childhood. I will say I did do better than
      those shown in THE WORLD’S WORST MARBLED PAPERS referenced below.

      For all of you like minded fans of marbling I have created a mini catalogue
      of some selected books on marbling, these are from our antiquarian
      inventory and so are subject to prior sale. We have many more Marbling
      books listed on our web site at http://www.oakknoll.com

      24584 Chambers, Anne. PRACTICAL GUIDE TO MARBLING PAPER. New York: Thames
      and Hudson, 1988, stiff paper wrappers. 88 pages.
      $ 14.95
      Reprint of first edition of 1986. Contains 82 illustrations with 54 in
      color. Introduction by Bernard C. Middleton. Excellent for professionals
      and amateurs. Shows the technique of marbling paper in the classic
      tradition, using ox gall and water colors on a size of carragheen moss.

      22551 Guyot, Don. SUMINAGASHI, AN INTRODUCTION TO JAPANESE MARBLING.
      Seattle: Brass Galley Press, 1988, small 4to., paper wrappers. (ii), 19 pages.
      $ 17.95
      First edition. Manual describing the production of Japanese marbling with
      drawings by Jaye Johnson. Gives a a list of suppliers and a bibliography.
      Specimen mounted on the title page.

      13336 Hewitt-Bates, J.S. and J. Halliday. THREE METHODS OF MARBLING.
      Leicester: Dryad Handicrafts, n.d., small 8vo., paper wrappers. 16 pages.
      $ 25.00
      Illustrated manual. Dryad Leaflet No.74. Crease mark on front cover.

      38841 Kantrowitz, Morris S. and Ernest W. Spencer. PROCESS OF MARBLING
      PAPER.|THE. Washington: GPO, (1947), small 4to., stiff paper wrappers.
      (ii), 10 pages.
      $ 20.00
      B-1 in the Bindery Series issued by the government. With three hole punch
      along spine.

      8030 Loring, Rosamond. DECORATED BOOK PAPERS, BEING AN ACCOUNT OF THE
      DESIGNS AND FASHIONS. Cambridge: Harvard College Library, 1973, 8vo.,
      cloth, dust jacket. xxv, 171 pages followed by plates showing examples of
      marbled and paste decorated book papers.
      $ 55.00
      Third edition, edited by Philip Hofer.

      71513 Maurer, Diane Vogel with Paul Maurer. MARBLING, A COMPLETE GUIDE TO
      CREATING BEAUTIFUL PATTERNED PAPERS AND FABRICS. London: J.B. Fairfax,
      (1991), small 4to., paper covered boards, dust jacket. 119+(1) pages.
      $ 35.00
      First edition. A brief history followed by various chapters on how to
      produce different marbling patterns. Filled with illustrations in color.
      With the Randeria bookplate.

      11227 Morris, Henry. WORLD'S WORST MARBLED PAPERS, BEING A COLLECTION.
      N.P.: San Serriffe Publishing Co., 1978, tall 8vo., stiff paper wrappers.
      10 pages, 10 double-page marbled paper samples, 5 pages.
      $ 85.00
      Limited to 400 copies, all numbered "1." This book is the first of the San
      Serriffe books. As Swift used Gulliver, Henry Morris resurrected his
      mythical author, Theodore Bachaus, from the BIRD & BULL COMMONPLACE BOOK
      and NUMBER 13 to give us comments on a very bad lot of marbled paper he
      received. Very amusing. Covers faded.

      27636 Wolfe, Richard J. MARBLED PAPER, ITS HISTORY, TECHNIQUES, AND
      PATTERNS. Baltimore: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1989, 4to., cloth,
      dust jacket. xvi, 245 pages.
      $ 135.00
      First edition. Traces the rise and fall of this craft. Contains over 350
      color and 80 black and white illustrations. A valuable reference work.

      37106 Weimann, Ingrid and Nedim Sonmez. CHRISTOPHER WEIMANN (1946-1988),
      A TRIBUTE. Tübingen: Jäckle-Sönmez, (1991), small 4to., cloth. 107 pages.
      $ 175.00
      First edition, limited to 400 numbered copies. Contains over ninety
      illustrations with thirty-eight in color and eight actual specimens of
      marbled paper made by Weimann before his untimely death. With a study of
      Weimann's work by Ingrid Weimann, remininscences by Muir Dawson, a note by
      Norma Rubovits, a chapter on recreating marbled symphonies by Woodman
      Taylor and a reprint of an article by Weimann on marbling techniques in
      early Indian paintings. Also contains a bibliography of Weimann's work on
      marbling.

      37637 Yagi, Tokutaro. SUMINAGASHI-ZOME. Woodside: The Heyeck Press, 1991,
      small 4to., cloth, leather spine label, slipcase. 55, (3) pages.
      $ 650.00
      Limited to 200 numbered copies. Designed, handset, printed and marbled by
      Robin Heyeck. Printed on Twinrocker handmade paper created especially for
      this book. With a preface by Tokuju Kaneko followed by Yagi's text on the
      practice of this method of marbling paper including information on colors,
      chemicals, tools, designs and methods. Each copy of this book contains 11
      samples made by Robin Heyeck. At the publisher's price.

      If you would like to order any of these books you can call us at
      302-328-7273 or e-mail us at oakknoll@... or visit our web site at
      http://www.oakknoll.com .

      Sincerely,
      John Laird
      Director of Marketing

      Oak Knoll Press
      310 Delaware Street
      New Castle, DE 19720 USA
      Phone: 302-328-7232
      Fax: 302-328-7274
      E-mail: johnlaird@...
      Web: http://www.oakknoll.com
    • IrisNevins
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2003
        For those of you interested, I have an article on sunspots coming out in
        the next Guild Of Bookworkers Journal. I have finally, after 25 years had
        success with them. I believe the article will be at their website (don't
        know address but could be found I am sure though a search) in about a month
        or so.

        I can reprint it here if people like, and do not have access to GBW.

        Iris Nevins
      • Maria Vernersson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2003
          It would be very sweet of you if you could have it reprinted here... I
          thought I'd have a go at sunspots one of these weeks - now I think I'd
          better wait until after I've read your article.

          thanks
          maria
        • cfloate
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
            Hi Iris,

            I would be interested in getting a copy of your article on sunspots.
            Thanks,
            Carole Floate

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
              I do not have physical copies of it, it is in the archives of the marbling
              group, it was just an emailed article. If you want a physical copy you may
              be able to get a back issue from the Guild of Bookworkers.....I don't know
              where or how, you would have to look them up online and see what the
              procedure is,
              thanks

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
                Hi
                We thought you might like to know about an incredible new book on marbling
                that has just been printed. And while we are at it, here is a list of other
                books on the subject for your amusement. See images of most of them using
                the following link to our web site.
                Bob Fleck

                Marbling Books at
                <http://www.oakknoll.com/results.php?s_Catnr=874&s_ShowPics=1>

                ************************************************************************************************************************
                KARLI FRIGGE'S LIFE IN MARBLING.
                By Berger, Sidney E.
                First edition, limited to only 140 numbered copies printed by hand in
                Garamond by Henry Morris. Karli Frigge (born in 1943) is an internationally
                recognized leader in marbling. Since 1964, she has dedicated her life to
                the art of marbling and bookbinding. Her work is truly original, often
                combining marbling with calligraphic elements. She excells in multiple
                marblings of utmost delicacy and transparency. Much of the text of this
                book is taken from Frigge's correspondences and her own books. This volume
                includes 18 large marbled specimens.
                2004, cloth, slipcase, small 4to. 78 pages.
                Order No. 078040, Price: $325.00
                ************************************************************************************************************************

                MARBLED LANDSCAPES.
                By Frigge, Karli.
                First edition, limited to 99 numbered copies signed by the author. "This is
                a booklet with delicate little landscapes, shaped by the troubles of
                everyday life." Introduction by Frigge printed in English and Dutch, in
                black and sepia-colored ink. Willem de Valk is responsible for the lay-out
                and the capitals of the title page. The English translation is by Mies
                Polak-Greve. With twelve tipped in marble papers, their artful and organic
                compositions evoke an array of landscapes and times of day.
                (1988), vellum spine stamped in gold, parchment-backed marbled paper
                covered boards, paper cover label., oblong 8vo. (12) pages, 12 plates with
                mounted marbled paper specimens, (4) pages.
                Order No. 025704, Price: $540.00

                MARBLED PLANTS.
                By Frigge, Karli.
                First edition, limited to 55 numbered copies signed by the author.
                Introduction by Frigge printed in English and Dutch, in grey and
                sepia-colored ink. Willem de Valk is responsible for the layout and the
                capitals of the title page. The English translation is by Mies Polak-Greve.
                The elegant marbled paper examples in this book are reminiscent of pressed
                leaves; they are inspired by the artist's conception of different plants.
                (1988), vellum spine stamped in gold, parchment-backed marbled paper
                covered boards, paper cover label., tall 8vo. (7) pages, 6 plates with
                mounted marbled paper specimens, (4) pages.
                Order No. 025706, Price: $310.00

                LEATHER BOOKS, AN ILLUSTRATED HANDBOOK.
                By Frigge, Karli.
                Limited to 415 copies, including 370 in this binding. In this illustrated
                handbook expert bookbinder Karli Frigge explains two methods of binding in
                leather based on sewing the gatherings onto leather thongs, which are in
                turn drawn through boards. With 75 drawings; "intended for advanced
                bookbinders." Some of the processes illustrated (making a headcap, backing
                a spine, making a hollow, sewing, gluing) are more widely applicable in
                binding.
                1997), sewn, stiff paper wrappers., tall large 8vo. 3-90, (2) pages.
                Order No. 053163, Price: $37.50

                ALL OF KARLI FRIGGE'S SAMPLE BOOKS.
                By Frigge, Karli.
                Limited Edition. Complete collection of marbling artist Karli Frigge's
                sample cards, this book serves as a chart of her creative development and
                experimentation. Contains 349 tipped-in samples of exquisite marbled
                papers. She writes in the colophon: "The sample cards were returned to me
                by bookbinders, picture framers, box makers, schoolteachers and
                daydreamers. To retrieve some of the cards, I had to trade some sheets of
                marbled paper, for some I had to pay good money, and some cards were
                acquired with sheer black magic. Therefor, there are a few copies only."
                Introduction by Sidney Berger, a paper historian and collector. The title
                calligraphy on the cover was done by hand by Evert van Dijk. Unusual
                binding, bound in Frigge's own method.
                (2001), leather spine with raised bands, marbled cloth-covered boards, sewn
                plastic slipcase, oblong 4to. (90) pages.
                Order No. 073813, Price: $1,200.00

                MARBLED FLOWERS.
                By Frigge, Karli.
                Edition limited to fifty-five signed and numbered copies. Includes five
                matted marbled papers. The Dutch artist creates abstract flowers composed
                of rich, luminous patterns of color. They are made by marbling each sheet
                eight or nine times over again. Also includes an essay, in both Dutch and
                English, where she describes her inspirations and working process. Title
                calligraphy by Stan van der Weyer. The book is bound by the artist.
                (1990), leather spine, wooden boards, laced with parchment straps, cloth
                case, oblong folio (26) pages with 5 additional color plates.
                Order No. 073819, Price: $1,500.00

                SAMPLE BOOK OF SEYMOUR.
                By Frigge, Karli, text by Lietje van Hovell tot Westerflier.
                Printed in an edition limited to 75 numbered and signed copies. Realized by
                Karli Frigge, this is the second in a series of Sample books. Includes a
                history of Edward Seymour (1898-1979) and the Fancy Paper Company, London,
                written by Lietje van Hovell tot Westerflier. Paper was being made at that
                time by the bench process as well as by trough marbling, Seymour's first
                love. Seymour made his own colors after an old formula and polished the
                papers by hand with agate polishing stone, this enabled him to produce
                remarkable papers in traditional patterns. Marbling was often made a
                mystery by those who practiced it, being confined to separate areas to
                prevent others learning the techniques. About 1971, Edward Seymour "walked
                out of his shop, leaving his work as though he expected to return soon, and
                was not heard from again." The Fancy Paper Company was dissolved in 1975.
                With thirty-five color samples of trough marbles and bench paper, all from
                the collection of Tanya Schmoller. Accordion binding.
                1993), cloth with paper sample inset on cover, slipcase, narrow 4to. (xii),
                11+(3) pages.
                Order No. 073838, Price: $210.00

                SAMPLE BOOK OF THE FANCY PAPER FACTORY ASCHAFFENBURG.
                By Frigge, Karli.
                Limited edition of 110 signed and numbered copies. Original samples of 90
                decorated papers on twenty-six accordion-fold pages; they cover the 150
                year history of this fine paper factory in Aschaffenburg, Germany. Karli
                Frigge provides a history of the factory which began in 1811 and closed in
                1968. During this time it was Europe's largest factory for decorated,
                marbled and embossed papers. Frigge also describes their techniques and
                includes a brief bibliography. The samples show marbled papers, paste
                paper, roller-printed end-papers, heavily embossed and roller-embossed
                papers, and leather and wood imitation papers.
                1993), cloth with paper sample inset on cover, slipcase, narrow 8vo. (xx),
                26+(4) pages.
                Order No. 073845, Price: $330.00

                YEAR IN A MARBLER'S WORKSHOP, HARVESTING COLOUR.|A.
                By Muir, Ann.
                First edition, limited to 250 numbered and signed copies of which this is
                one of 25 special copies containing a unique ebru frontiespiece and a
                matched binding in a clamshell box.. A biographical memoir aranged
                paired with a large fold-out marbled specimen. She begins her book in
                January as she starts a new year in her marbling workshop in St. Algar's
                Farmyard. As she leads us through the year she retraces her career, sharing
                the ups and downs of her fifteen years as a marbler. Each marbled sheet is
                9 inches tall and unfolds to 20 inches, an unusually large sheet to display
                the beautiful detail of each design. Included is an introduction by Barry
                McKay.
                (1999), half-bound in buckram with marbled paper boards, cloth slipcase,
                paper spine label., small 4to. 96 pages.
                Order No. 058948, Price: $650.00

                ART OF MARBLING.|THE.
                By Weisse, Franz.
                Limited to 300 numbered copies. This manual by Weisse, one of the great
                German marblers and teachers, was originally published in 1940. It is an
                excellent overall study of the craft and the most detailed and
                comprehensive work written on the fantasy type of marbling and includes a
                discussion of "overmarbling" paper. The bulk of the first edition was
                destroyed by Allied bombing and hence very difficult to find. Wolfe has
                provided an excellent introduction. Prospectus, which has a piece of
                marbled paper pasted on it, is loosely inserted
                1980, leather spine, marbled paper over boards., 4to. 79 pages and 14
                tipped-in specimen sheets.
                Order No. 042219, Price: $500.00

                MYSTERIOUS MARBLER WITH AN HISTORICAL INTRODUCTION, NOTES AND 11 ORIGINAL
                MARBLED SAMPLES BY RICHARD J. WOLFE.|THE.
                By Sumner, James.
                First edition, one of about 250 copies. (Taylor A18). A reprint of this
                manual on marbling which first appeared in 1854. Marbling had much been
                practiced as a "secret art" until the 1850's. This little manual
                supplemented an earlier manual by Charles Woolnough published in 1851.
                Presentation from Henry Morris on the colophon page.
                1976, quarter blue leather over marbled paper covered boards., 8vo. 71 pages.
                Order No. 023254, Price: $475.00

                BUNTPAPIER, HERKOMMEN, GESCHICHTE, TECHNIKEN, BEZIEHUNGEN ZUR KUNST.
                By Haemmerle, Albert.
                Issued on the 150th anniversary of this firm. The history of decorated and
                marbled paper with 155 illustrations and eighteen actual paper specimens
                tipped-in. Has a thirteen page bibliography of the subject done in triple
                column and descriptions of 664 examples of decorated paper. Jacket chipped.
                (1961), decorated boards, dust jacket., 4to. 251 pages.
                Order No. 016131, Price: $375.00

                AMERICAN DECORATIVE PAPERMAKERS, THE WORK & SPECIMENS OF TWELVE CRAFT ARTISTS.
                By
                First edition, one of the 200 numbered copies bound in half leather by the
                Harcourt Bindery. A study of marbling with an introduction by Don Guyot,
                essays and tipped-in specimens by ten marblers, technical notes, and a
                bibliography of the subject. Finely printed at the Naiman Press. Includes a
                woodegraving by Michael McCurdy.
                (1983), half leather over cloth., oblong 8vo. 65, (3) pages.
                Order No. 005313, Price: $300.00

                ON IMPROVEMENTS IN MARBLING THE EDGES OF BOOKS AND PAPER, A NINETEENTH
                CENTURY MARBLING ACCOUNT EXPLAINED AND ILLUSTRATED WITH FOURTEEN ORIGINAL
                MARBLED SAMPLES.
                By Wolfe, Richard J.
                First edition, limited to 350 numbered copies. Reprints the first American
                Treatise on Marbling, an account which appears in the April, 1829 issue of
                the Journal of the Franklin Institute with additional text by Wolfe.
                Beautifully printed on handmade paper.
                1983, quarter leather over marbled paper covered boards, leather tips.,
                oblong 12mo. 64 pages followed by the tipped-in samples.
                Order No. 000462, Price: $250.00

                Oak Knoll Books
                310 Delaware Street New Castle DE 19720
                P: 302.328.7232 - F: 302.328.7274 - E: oakknoll@... web
                http://www.oakknoll.com/
                Member Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America (ABAA)
                http://www.abaa.org/
                International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) http://www.ilab.org
                Buy with confidence of consumer protection when you buy from an ILAB
                bookseller

              • dguff
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 22, 2009
                  To AhmedK

                  I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my e-mail...my books are not for sale, but you can find copies of these titles on Amazon.com

                  d.gufey