Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 553

    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2003
      I am not sure what exactly the shaving cream process is, but suspect you
      get some pretty nice gradations of color on the fabrics as the shaving
      cream dries/evaporates, though when he "marbles" with it I am not sure
      whether he uses it on a bath, in which case it would be more proper
      marbling or sorts. I will see if there is a link to some pix from Peters
      valley.

      As I recall back in the *old days* Paul Maurer used some
      pretty....ahem....interesting materials to marble with.....some of you know
      what I mean...Diane, should we say??? I know one of the lesser strange
      additives was shoe polish? Or does memory fail me, I know he tried some odd
      things with interesting results. Personally I'd love to see the shaving
      cream dye process.....I will be seeing it in June I expect and will let you
      know.

      IrisNevins
    • Sue Walters
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2003
        I really look forward to hearing about that Iris.
        I'm thinking it might be interesting to try. In some cases I'd like
        to get a really deep penetration into the surface of my work and was
        wondering if this type of thing may work....allowing the material to
        stay submerged/coated in pigment for a longer length of time.
        I'd be really interested in any links or info you can throw out
        there about it.
        Thanks,
        Sue:)
      • Carol Scott
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2003
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          785837:HM/A=1554463/R=4/id=noscript/*http:/shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/
          clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egrou
          pweb/S=1705785837:HM/A=1554463/R=5/1051876583+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rm
          i/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/f
          reevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif>

          <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/mday_300x250_vase_20
          k.gif>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1554463/rand=201345849>

        • Steve Bryant
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2003
            Hello, I'm glad to see artists who are willing to try things that are out of the typical which from what I've read is part of the marbling process.

            In the last several months, I've read a considerable amount about marbling. One of the websites that I stumbled on a couple of months ago: www.serve.com/marbeth/shaving_cream.html

            I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds easy enough.

            Last weekend, I enjoyed working with a trial marbling experience using liquid starch. It was fun, of course, I don't have much experience with marbling. I used a 2" x 3 " plastic container and went crazy. I started using small bits of paper because I ran out and didn't want to leave. A friend and co-worker gave me an idea for using the small pieces of paper - to make a collage. Good idea, but I don't know yet what to do. Has anyone done any collage work with marbled paper? I suppose this could be an abstract work or maybe in a specific design.

            thanks. Cynthia