Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 553

  • Sue Walters
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      Hi:)
      I'm a lurker here because time doesn't permit me to write. I'm and Aussie
      who doesn't have the benefit of being able to learn much about marbling, so
      I've been picking the basics up on the net and here at the group.
      I thank you for your input, it's been wonderful in helping me marble. This
      list actually solved a huge problem for me. I didn't even know about
      distilled water use and one thread got me using it for paint and size and
      sanity has now returned to my baths.
      I'm a different kind of artist by profession but have been having enormous
      enjoyment experimenting with marbling.
      I'm not a professional marbler and don't often marble on paper...indeed I
      marble on a very unusual material. Does this make me unwelcome here? Come
      now...must we be so snobby to attack posts like shaving cream? It might not
      be to everyone's liking, but it might be fun for some to try.
      Thanks for the input from you all, no matter what...it's interesting...it
      makes me think and learn....and it's never too late in the day to do that.
      Regards,
      Sue.

      Sue Walters Pyrography
      A WORLD OF WOODBURNING AND PYROGRAPHY
      www.suewalters.com

      PEACE

      From: "Steve Ray" <sray@...>
      2. Re: Digest Number 550
      From: Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@...>
      3. Shaving Cream?
      From: "mpmh60201" <milena@...>
      4. Cut Offs
      From: Milena Hughes <milena@...>
      5. Marbling Video
      From: "Guffey" <dguff@...>
      6. Re: Peters Valley
      From: "Steve Bryant" <jsbryant@...>
      7. Re: Peters Valley
      From: irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:43:53 -0700
      From: "Steve Ray" <sray@...>
      Subject: RE: Digest Number 550

      Yes, If you know of a good video or DVD on marbling, please post it.
      Thanks!
      Steve

      From: "catdaddytn" <jsbryant@...>
      2. IMG 02
      From: "catdaddytn" <jsbryant@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:22:33 -0000
      From: "catdaddytn" <jsbryant@...>
      Subject: summer marbling workshop

      Hello,

      Marbling: Almost Magic
      Nancy Lawrence, instructor
      July 14 - 18, fee: $270
      Appalachian Center for Crafts
      Smithville, TN

      I'm thinking about attending this workshop, especially since I live
      close to the craft center. The Craft Center is part of Tennessee
      Technological University in Cookeville, TN.

      www.craftcenter.tntech.edu

      Cynthia Bryant

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:45:19 -0000
      From: "catdaddytn" <jsbryant@...>
      Subject: IMG 02

      Hello,

      I noticed a file (on the left where messages are posted) with info
      from the IMG 02. Thanks for putting out the good info from the
      conference. It makes me want to kick myself again, being from TN,
      and not knowing about the IMG until after it was over.

      I started reading about marbling in about February. Oh well, looking
      forward to the next one.

      Is there a DVD or video from the conference? or available handouts?

      thanks. Cynthia

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:35:49 -0700
      From: Gail MacKenzie <gailmackenzi@...>

      > Yes, If you know of a good video or DVD on marbling, please post it.
      > Thanks!
      > Steve

      Hello Steve, I still have copies of the video ³Marbling Made Easy². I would
      be happy to send you a copy for $15 plus shipping...that¹s $5+ less than
      catalog price. Let me know. Regards, Gail

      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:13:36 -0000
      From: "mpmh60201" <milena@...>
      Subject: Shaving Cream?

      Hey..we could all get together and marble with frosting like grandma
      used to do (for free...and eat it too)! It can be a call for
      "entrees" rather than entries!
      Ludicrous? of course! and so is marbling with shaving cream. Some
      people will really go to the LOWEST extremes and still call it
      marbling. There needs to be a broader definition of marbling as in
      "paper"- book arts, and marbling as in "faux decorative design" for
      this group site. By the way..faux finishing is "out" (peaked and
      departing fast in the design industry). On the other hand, marbling
      as in "Iris Nevins" is NEVER out of style! It's just HOW and WHAT it
      is applied to that comes and go

      Message: 4
      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:24:40 -0500
      From: Milena Hughes <milena@...>
      Subject: Cut Offs

      Does anyone have a clue as to why my messages usually get cut off
      on this group site? I use a Power Mac. Any help would be greatly
      appreciated. -M

      Message: 5
      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:25:55 -0700
      From: "Guffey" <dguff@...>
      Subject: Marbling Video

      > Yes, If you know of a good video or DVD on marbling, please post it.
      > Thanks!

      Regarding this request...an excellent video on marbling is "Experience the
      Magic of Marbling. Marbling Secrets and Recipes" with Mimi Schleicher &
      Patty Schleicher. I purchased it years ago, so I don't know if it is still
      available (it is dated 1994). There is a toll free number listed on the
      video 1-800-383-6238

      What I liked about the video is that numerous patterns are demonstrated so
      that you can see how the colors are put on the size and which tools are used
      and in which manner to achieve that particular pattern.

      d. guffey

      Message: 6
      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:36:32 -0700
      From: "Steve Bryant" <jsbryant@...>
      Subject: Re: Peters Valley

      Hello, Where is Peters Valley? thanks. Cynthia
      Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 08:01:45 -0400
      From: irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

      Northwest New Jersey, Layton is the town.
      Iris

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2003
        I am not sure what exactly the shaving cream process is, but suspect you
        get some pretty nice gradations of color on the fabrics as the shaving
        cream dries/evaporates, though when he "marbles" with it I am not sure
        whether he uses it on a bath, in which case it would be more proper
        marbling or sorts. I will see if there is a link to some pix from Peters
        valley.

        As I recall back in the *old days* Paul Maurer used some
        pretty....ahem....interesting materials to marble with.....some of you know
        what I mean...Diane, should we say??? I know one of the lesser strange
        additives was shoe polish? Or does memory fail me, I know he tried some odd
        things with interesting results. Personally I'd love to see the shaving
        cream dye process.....I will be seeing it in June I expect and will let you
        know.

        IrisNevins
      • Sue Walters
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2003
          I really look forward to hearing about that Iris.
          I'm thinking it might be interesting to try. In some cases I'd like
          to get a really deep penetration into the surface of my work and was
          wondering if this type of thing may work....allowing the material to
          stay submerged/coated in pigment for a longer length of time.
          I'd be really interested in any links or info you can throw out
          there about it.
          Thanks,
          Sue:)
        • Carol Scott
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2003
[...]

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            785837:HM/A=1554463/R=4/id=noscript/*http:/shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/
            clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egrou
            pweb/S=1705785837:HM/A=1554463/R=5/1051876583+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rm
            i/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/f
            reevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif>

            <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/mday_300x250_vase_20
            k.gif>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1554463/rand=201345849>

          • Steve Bryant
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2003
              Hello, I'm glad to see artists who are willing to try things that are out of the typical which from what I've read is part of the marbling process.

              In the last several months, I've read a considerable amount about marbling. One of the websites that I stumbled on a couple of months ago: www.serve.com/marbeth/shaving_cream.html

              I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds easy enough.

              Last weekend, I enjoyed working with a trial marbling experience using liquid starch. It was fun, of course, I don't have much experience with marbling. I used a 2" x 3 " plastic container and went crazy. I started using small bits of paper because I ran out and didn't want to leave. A friend and co-worker gave me an idea for using the small pieces of paper - to make a collage. Good idea, but I don't know yet what to do. Has anyone done any collage work with marbled paper? I suppose this could be an abstract work or maybe in a specific design.

              thanks. Cynthia