Re: [Marbling] alum

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2000
      Marjorie,

      Aluminum sulfate (a.s.) is reported to be the best of 3 alums that work,
      including ammonium a.s. (pickle alum) or potassium a.s.(fiber mordant) 1)
      It will dissolve easily in hot or cold water. Not only does that make for
      quicker prep time, but some marblers' feel it also means that the excess
      will rinse off more easily after lifting a print. Since it is acidic that
      is helpful. 2) Environmentally it is supposed to be the most sound since
      the paint only sticks to the a.s. and will leave no free radicals of
      ammonium or potassium to wash down the sink. For years I have primarily
      used potassium a.s. on paper and fabric because I can get it locally. But on
      my paper I have started using a.s. more.

      Best, Laura