Re: [Marbling] Re: Sumi Paper

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
      Welcome crystal!
      Although you can't attach a file directly to your post--you Can upload
      at the group home site. Go into the file menu--and just follow the
      instructions and your image will be stored there for everyone to see.
      Jill
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9, 2003
        Hi Rain,

        What a good idea, using newsprint to pick up the Japanese paper! Have
        you considered substituting unprinted newsprint paper which is usually
        available at art supply stores and certainly from paper distributors.
        It's pretty cheap and would eliminate the problem of the offset of the
        printers' ink .

        Shelagh Smith

        wrote:
        > I'm wondering if anyone uses Sumi painting paper for
        marbling?

        > Thanks! Geri

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Lavinia Adler
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 9, 2003
          Dear "Crystalmirror",
          Don't apologize for "overblabbing". Your message was very informative.
          Thanks, and welcome to the community.

          Lavinia

          > I have done a lot of marbling with sumi paper; one reason i really
          > like to use it is that it does not require alum (as is true also
          > with
          > other papers that are unsized) ....

          > PS, i realize brevity is probably appreciated in these messages,
          > and apologize for the overblabbling my 1am cup of tea has
          > induced...

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com
        • mpmh60201
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
            As in traditional suminagashi: use a wooden dowel at the short end of
            the paper resting in the tray of size. Support the paper from
            underneath so that the end wraps around the dowel a bit. Then lift
            straight up and out of the tray. If the paper is delicate, DO NOT
            TOUCH the paper on the dowel with your fingers! It will rip away.
            Before using, cut the dowel just shorter than the width of the tray so
            that your fingers can hold the dowel and not touch the paper. Also
            make sure the width of the paper is shorter than the length of the
            dowel. I then transfer papers to a blotter for drying or, if strong
            enough, transfer them to a large slant board over my sinks to drain
            and dry. If papers are too heavy to wrap around the dowel from beneath
            the surface of the size, slide a wooden yardstick underneath for
            support instead of a dowel. This will help distribute the w
          • Ann Lederer

              wrote:
              > I'm wondering if anyone uses Sumi painting paper for
              marbling?

              > Thanks! Geri

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/