Re: paint rinses off

  • susaglenn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
      Let me fine tune the suggested formula below: Start with 50% GAC 900
      and 50% alcohol (70%). Try using 2 parts of this mix with 1 part of
      the Ceramcoat paint. You might want to thin all of your paints down
      to 1 part paint and 3 parts of the 50-50 mix. It is up to you. I
      think that I was marbling on colored fabric when I was using the 33%
      paint mix and if you are marbling on white paper, the 25% paint may
      work just fine and be easier.

      Susa Glenn

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "susaglenn" <sglenn@c...> wrote:
      > Hi, I've used Ceramcoat paints with some good successes on fabric.
      > used 1/3 Ceramcoat, 1/3 Golden Acrylics GAC 900 (fabric medium)
      and
      > 1/3 alcohol (70%). The alcohol is a double sided issue here. It
      > makes the acrylic paint pigment moil around on the surface of the
      > size when dropped so it doesn't sink and it also will react to
      some
      > paint pigments so that the mixture gloms in the jar and is a
      > hopeless mess. I think the paint tech people said that organic
      > (inorganic?) pigments react to alcohol. Try Ceramcoat Bright Red,
      > Bright Yellow, and now I've forgotten which blue. Test several.
      The
> [...]
      > paint concoctions now. I think that Delta makes a fabric medium,
      but
      > it doesn't work the same as the Golden GAC 900; it is thicker,
      > heavier.
      >
      > Good luck! Susa Glenn
      >
      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "juliepoulton" <madronewood@a...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi! I am brand new to marbling, so I have lots of questions. I do
      > > have a book and I have read several websites on marbling but
      > haven't
      > > been
      > > able to figure some things out. I am a bit desperate because I
      > have
      > > a group of friends coming over Weds. night to do marbling with
      me!

      > > The main problem I am having is the paint is rinsing right off
      the
      > > paper. In fact, on my last one, it began to run off the paper
      > before
      > > even began to rinse it. And the gold paint I used did not stick
      > > the
      > > paper at all! ( Though I will say the gold is quite thick, even
      > > diluted, so I guess it needs more dilution.)
      > >
      > > The book I have says the problem may lie with something in my
      > papers
      > > (but this is happening with 3 different papers), with my alum
      > > concentration(I used 1 T alum to 1 cup H2O), with having too
      much
      > > paint (it was a little thin and there were even some blank
      spaces),
      > > or
      > > if my paper was too damp (was almost dry).
      > >
      > > My choice of papers may leave something to be desired. I used
      > printer
      > > paper, watercolor paper, and drawing paper. Could the paper be
      the
      > > problem? Any suggestions for what type of appropriate paper I
      > could
      > > get at a Ben Franklin store?
      > >
      > > I am using carrageenan, and Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paints.
      > >
      > > I have very hard tap water, so used distilled water to mix the
      > > carrageenan and to dilute my acrylic paints. However, a couple
      > drops
      > > of hard water may have gotten in some paint colors. Can this
      cause
      > > problem? Also, can I rinse with hard water at the end?
      > >
      > > I am having a hard time cleaning the surface of the bath. I
      tried
      > > clean it with 4" strips of newspaper. I must have used at least
      > 12
      > > strips, but can't seem to get all the paint off the surface. any
      > > tips?
      > >
      > > I have a vat that is too big for my 8.5 X 11 papers. Is it ok to
      > > "fill
      > > in" the empty space with more paint after making one page, then
      > make
      > > another page, or does the surface have to be cleaned each time?
      > >
      > > Ok, that's a lot of questions!! But if I can just get the paint

    • del stubbs
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
        Now a question about GAC 900....a week ago I talked with a tech person
        at Golden paints asking specifically what all the "GAC's" were for
        (there is everything from GAC 100-900. He told me that the GAC 900 was
        for fabric only, and not to use it for paper (he knew I was marbling -
        and he is a marbler himself...). The reason he said not to use the 900
        on paper was that it needs heat to really set the paint when it is mixed
        with the 900......but it sounds as though some of you are using the 900
        on paper successfully? I'm always interested in hearing "the rest of
        the story" - and pros and cons.

        Also - another perspective on ceramcoat......when my husband and I
        started marbling 10 years ago or so - we bought ceramcoat paints,
        because they were an inexpensive way to explore a new craft. We used
        them on carageenan, and never had much trouble with them (after we got
        through the marbling "initiation" phases......!) We were able to get
        some very good results with Ceramcoat, and still use them sometimes. We
        have switched, for the most part, to Golden fluid acrylics - and I find
        that there is a definite difference in quality and "performance" between
        the 2 brand names. My observations when comparing the two - Ceramcoat
        paint is not as dense color as Golden - the pigments in ceramcoat paint
        don't seem to be ground as fine - there is more "contamination" in
        Ceramcoat (ie. chunks of pigment).....and Ceramcoat "spreadabilty"
        varies significantly. Mary-Celine Thouin (Stubbs)

      • susaglenn
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
          I agree with all you've said & I too use Golden Fluids now. The
          advantage that I see for a beginner to use Ceramcoat is that even
          though the pigment load is MUCH lower and there's sometimes some
          glop that needs to be strained out and the paint needs to be stirred
          up because it has separated from sitting on the shelf for who knows
          how long, Ceramcoat will give you nice thread quality and won't
          shatter so easily like the Golden fluids. There's something in there
          that makes it smooth & easier to work with.

          On the question about not using GAC 900 on paper: The GAC 900 has to
          be heat set so the fabric will be washable. If you don't plan to
          wash your marbled paper you don't need to heat set it. The alum on
          the paper is going to hold the pigment to the paper fibers. I really
          don't see why you couldn't use the 900 if you wanted to unless it
          messes up the archival quality of the paper.

          The alcohol that I use also helps with pigment problems as it acts
          as a solvent.

          Susa Glenn

          Service.