Re: paint rinses off

  • susaglenn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
      Hi, I've used Ceramcoat paints with some good successes on fabric. I
      used 1/3 Ceramcoat, 1/3 Golden Acrylics GAC 900 (fabric medium) and
      1/3 alcohol (70%). The alcohol is a double sided issue here. It
      makes the acrylic paint pigment moil around on the surface of the
      size when dropped so it doesn't sink and it also will react to some
      paint pigments so that the mixture gloms in the jar and is a
      hopeless mess. I think the paint tech people said that organic
      (inorganic?) pigments react to alcohol. Try Ceramcoat Bright Red,
      Bright Yellow, and now I've forgotten which blue. Test several. The
      red blues are very agressive on their spread & the green blues glom
      from the alcohol. I finally got one to work, I just can't remember
      which. Their white is nice. Their black is nice. Actually, their
      gold (Emperor's Gold, not the others) worked very well, was great
      with the alcohol, & printed on white paper. Amazing. I alumed my
      paper; I've forgotten the alum strength.

      This mix takes longer to fully expand when dropped on the size so
      there were times that I would cover my tray for a minute to keep the
      paint from drying & give the spread more time. As long as I let the
      last paint spread, I could stack up more paint on the size. I guess
      you could use distilled water instead, but then you are back to the
      pigment staying in the center of the expanding circle of paint and
      falling through to the bottom. The Golden GAC 900 makes the paint
      spread and makes it more agressive on its spread so you can actually
      balance your paints with it. I have marbled paper successfully with
      this mix, but I mainly work on fabric and I've moved on to other
      paint concoctions now. I think that Delta makes a fabric medium, but
      it doesn't work the same as the Golden GAC 900; it is thicker,
      heavier.

      Good luck! Susa Glenn

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "juliepoulton" <madronewood@a...>

    • juliepoulton
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
        Thanks to Iris for all the advice and info!

        Now I have more questions.

        None of my paints sunk, but I will dilute further and avoid the gold.
        Plus I will get that charcoal paper.

        Where do you get papers from and what do you get? My interests would
        be to make (small) wrapping papers, cards, or paper to cover a box.
        Also, does stationery usually work? (like those blank cards they sell
        in art stores?)

        How can I tell how much carrageenan to add to my hard h2o?

        Yes, I am using alum from the grocery store! Not sure where else to
        get it in this rural town, but I will order some real stuff for next
        time. One person sent me a direct email saying that I don't need to
        alum if I am using acrylics. Anyone else have comments on this?

        Thanks
        -madronewood
      • Geri Burgert
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
          In addition to Madronewood's previous questions, I would also like to ask one:

          I, too, am searching for a source for inexpensive paper for marbling. I need something fairly thin because I hope to use the marbled paper to package homemade scented soaps. Help?

          TIA, Geri

        • Ann Lederer
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
            You might want to try galen berry's web site for ordering materials....
            juliepoulton <madronewood@...> wrote:Thanks to Iris for all the advice and info!

            Now I have more questions.

            None of my paints sunk, but I will dilute further and avoid the gold.
            Plus I will get that charcoal paper.

            Where do you get papers from and what do you get? My interests would
            be to make (small) wrapping papers, cards, or paper to cover a box.
            Also, does stationery usually work? (like those blank cards they sell
            in art stores?)

            How can I tell how much carrageenan to add to my hard h2o?

            Yes, I am using alum from the grocery store! Not sure where else to
            get it in this rural town, but I will order some real stuff for next
            time. One person sent me a direct email saying that I don't need to
            alum if I am using acrylics. Anyone else have comments on this?

            Thanks
            -madronewood

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • IrisNevins
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
              Wrong alum. wrong paper......no wonder. Ceramcoat is generally OK if you
              pick the right colors, and I can't say now what they are....forgot long
              ago.

              Round your tablespoons of carrageenan instead of level. Very easy.

              IrisNevins
              www.marblingpaper.com
            • IrisNevins
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                If you need just small sheets, Strathmore writing paper is good from
                stationary store.

                I use Classic laid or Classic Linen and you have to buy cartons of at least
                1,000. Look up PAPER in your LOCAL yellow pages. They have local
                distributors all over.

                Iris Nevins
                www.marblingpaper.com
              • IrisNevins
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                  PS....I sell alum, as do other suppliers.

                  On many acrylics you do not need alum much of the time...it is different
                  for each kind. Marbling "paint" is not generic. Each brand will work very
                  differently.

                  IrisNevins
                  www.marblingpaper.com
                • susaglenn
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                    Let me fine tune the suggested formula below: Start with 50% GAC 900
                    and 50% alcohol (70%). Try using 2 parts of this mix with 1 part of
                    the Ceramcoat paint. You might want to thin all of your paints down
                    to 1 part paint and 3 parts of the 50-50 mix. It is up to you. I
                    think that I was marbling on colored fabric when I was using the 33%
                    paint mix and if you are marbling on white paper, the 25% paint may
                    work just fine and be easier.

                    Susa Glenn

                  • del stubbs
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                      Now a question about GAC 900....a week ago I talked with a tech person
                      at Golden paints asking specifically what all the "GAC's" were for
                      (there is everything from GAC 100-900. He told me that the GAC 900 was
                      for fabric only, and not to use it for paper (he knew I was marbling -
                      and he is a marbler himself...). The reason he said not to use the 900
                      on paper was that it needs heat to really set the paint when it is mixed
                      with the 900......but it sounds as though some of you are using the 900
                      on paper successfully? I'm always interested in hearing "the rest of
                      the story" - and pros and cons.

                      Also - another perspective on ceramcoat......when my husband and I
                      started marbling 10 years ago or so - we bought ceramcoat paints,
                      because they were an inexpensive way to explore a new craft. We used
                      them on carageenan, and never had much trouble with them (after we got
                      through the marbling "initiation" phases......!) We were able to get
                      some very good results with Ceramcoat, and still use them sometimes. We
                      have switched, for the most part, to Golden fluid acrylics - and I find
                      that there is a definite difference in quality and "performance" between
                      the 2 brand names. My observations when comparing the two - Ceramcoat
                      paint is not as dense color as Golden - the pigments in ceramcoat paint
                      don't seem to be ground as fine - there is more "contamination" in
                      Ceramcoat (ie. chunks of pigment).....and Ceramcoat "spreadabilty"
                      varies significantly. Mary-Celine Thouin (Stubbs)

                    • susaglenn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                        I agree with all you've said & I too use Golden Fluids now. The
                        advantage that I see for a beginner to use Ceramcoat is that even
                        though the pigment load is MUCH lower and there's sometimes some
                        glop that needs to be strained out and the paint needs to be stirred
                        up because it has separated from sitting on the shelf for who knows
                        how long, Ceramcoat will give you nice thread quality and won't
                        shatter so easily like the Golden fluids. There's something in there
                        that makes it smooth & easier to work with.

                        On the question about not using GAC 900 on paper: The GAC 900 has to
                        be heat set so the fabric will be washable. If you don't plan to
                        wash your marbled paper you don't need to heat set it. The alum on
                        the paper is going to hold the pigment to the paper fibers. I really
                        don't see why you couldn't use the 900 if you wanted to unless it
                        messes up the archival quality of the paper.

                        The alcohol that I use also helps with pigment problems as it acts
                        as a solvent.

                        Susa Glenn

                        Service.