[Marbling] paint rinses off

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
      Ceramcoat....... Too thick will run off or sink in the tray. otherwise
      some are OK, thin with 3X water. so pour in 1/4 cup into measure and fill
      up with water. That's how I have used it. Their gold stinks for marbling.
      Also, their colors do not marble consistently....some sink no matter how
      much dispersant, others spread OK alone. Not made for marbling though.

      The papers may be sized with a size that repels color.....many are.
      Strathmore charcoal, Canson are papers that work. some computer paper does
      some doesn't. You have to test them. Most art/craft store papers don't work
      well.

      Hard water......not a big problem, though some say it is. My water is the
      hardest in creation....the only thing is to dilute the paint with DISTILLED
      water just in case some of the minerals affect the paint (only should be a
      little) The only thing I find about hard water is that you may need
      slightly more carrageenan powder for the size. That's it.

      Alum sounds ok....I hope you are not using the junk from grocery or drug
      stores. Use Aluminum Potassium sulphate or Aluminum sulphate only. You may
      also be marbling too soon after aluming....the papers need to sit under a
      board until the "wet puddles" are gone. any wet spots will not hold paint.

      You need to skime everytime. There is always a bit that sinks, but looks
      near the surface....don't worry you can't clean it anyway.

      Iris Nevins
    • susaglenn
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
        Hi, I've used Ceramcoat paints with some good successes on fabric. I
        used 1/3 Ceramcoat, 1/3 Golden Acrylics GAC 900 (fabric medium) and
        1/3 alcohol (70%). The alcohol is a double sided issue here. It
        makes the acrylic paint pigment moil around on the surface of the
        size when dropped so it doesn't sink and it also will react to some
        paint pigments so that the mixture gloms in the jar and is a
        hopeless mess. I think the paint tech people said that organic
        (inorganic?) pigments react to alcohol. Try Ceramcoat Bright Red,
        Bright Yellow, and now I've forgotten which blue. Test several. The
        red blues are very agressive on their spread & the green blues glom
        from the alcohol. I finally got one to work, I just can't remember
        which. Their white is nice. Their black is nice. Actually, their
        gold (Emperor's Gold, not the others) worked very well, was great
        with the alcohol, & printed on white paper. Amazing. I alumed my
        paper; I've forgotten the alum strength.

        This mix takes longer to fully expand when dropped on the size so
        there were times that I would cover my tray for a minute to keep the
        paint from drying & give the spread more time. As long as I let the
        last paint spread, I could stack up more paint on the size. I guess
        you could use distilled water instead, but then you are back to the
        pigment staying in the center of the expanding circle of paint and
        falling through to the bottom. The Golden GAC 900 makes the paint
        spread and makes it more agressive on its spread so you can actually
        balance your paints with it. I have marbled paper successfully with
        this mix, but I mainly work on fabric and I've moved on to other
        paint concoctions now. I think that Delta makes a fabric medium, but
        it doesn't work the same as the Golden GAC 900; it is thicker,
        heavier.

        Good luck! Susa Glenn

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "juliepoulton" <madronewood@a...>

      • juliepoulton
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
          Thanks to Iris for all the advice and info!

          Now I have more questions.

          None of my paints sunk, but I will dilute further and avoid the gold.
          Plus I will get that charcoal paper.

          Where do you get papers from and what do you get? My interests would
          be to make (small) wrapping papers, cards, or paper to cover a box.
          Also, does stationery usually work? (like those blank cards they sell
          in art stores?)

          How can I tell how much carrageenan to add to my hard h2o?

          Yes, I am using alum from the grocery store! Not sure where else to
          get it in this rural town, but I will order some real stuff for next
          time. One person sent me a direct email saying that I don't need to
          alum if I am using acrylics. Anyone else have comments on this?

          Thanks
          -madronewood
        • Geri Burgert
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
            In addition to Madronewood's previous questions, I would also like to ask one:

            I, too, am searching for a source for inexpensive paper for marbling. I need something fairly thin because I hope to use the marbled paper to package homemade scented soaps. Help?

            TIA, Geri

          • Ann Lederer
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
              You might want to try galen berry's web site for ordering materials....
              juliepoulton <madronewood@...> wrote:Thanks to Iris for all the advice and info!

              Now I have more questions.

              None of my paints sunk, but I will dilute further and avoid the gold.
              Plus I will get that charcoal paper.

              Where do you get papers from and what do you get? My interests would
              be to make (small) wrapping papers, cards, or paper to cover a box.
              Also, does stationery usually work? (like those blank cards they sell
              in art stores?)

              How can I tell how much carrageenan to add to my hard h2o?

              Yes, I am using alum from the grocery store! Not sure where else to
              get it in this rural town, but I will order some real stuff for next
              time. One person sent me a direct email saying that I don't need to
              alum if I am using acrylics. Anyone else have comments on this?

              Thanks
              -madronewood

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • IrisNevins
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                Wrong alum. wrong paper......no wonder. Ceramcoat is generally OK if you
                pick the right colors, and I can't say now what they are....forgot long
                ago.

                Round your tablespoons of carrageenan instead of level. Very easy.

                IrisNevins
                www.marblingpaper.com
              • IrisNevins
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                  If you need just small sheets, Strathmore writing paper is good from
                  stationary store.

                  I use Classic laid or Classic Linen and you have to buy cartons of at least
                  1,000. Look up PAPER in your LOCAL yellow pages. They have local
                  distributors all over.

                  Iris Nevins
                  www.marblingpaper.com
                • IrisNevins
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                    PS....I sell alum, as do other suppliers.

                    On many acrylics you do not need alum much of the time...it is different
                    for each kind. Marbling "paint" is not generic. Each brand will work very
                    differently.

                    IrisNevins
                    www.marblingpaper.com
                  • susaglenn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                      Let me fine tune the suggested formula below: Start with 50% GAC 900
                      and 50% alcohol (70%). Try using 2 parts of this mix with 1 part of
                      the Ceramcoat paint. You might want to thin all of your paints down
                      to 1 part paint and 3 parts of the 50-50 mix. It is up to you. I
                      think that I was marbling on colored fabric when I was using the 33%
                      paint mix and if you are marbling on white paper, the 25% paint may
                      work just fine and be easier.

                      Susa Glenn

                    • del stubbs
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                        Now a question about GAC 900....a week ago I talked with a tech person
                        at Golden paints asking specifically what all the "GAC's" were for
                        (there is everything from GAC 100-900. He told me that the GAC 900 was
                        for fabric only, and not to use it for paper (he knew I was marbling -
                        and he is a marbler himself...). The reason he said not to use the 900
                        on paper was that it needs heat to really set the paint when it is mixed
                        with the 900......but it sounds as though some of you are using the 900
                        on paper successfully? I'm always interested in hearing "the rest of
                        the story" - and pros and cons.

                        Also - another perspective on ceramcoat......when my husband and I
                        started marbling 10 years ago or so - we bought ceramcoat paints,
                        because they were an inexpensive way to explore a new craft. We used
                        them on carageenan, and never had much trouble with them (after we got
                        through the marbling "initiation" phases......!) We were able to get
                        some very good results with Ceramcoat, and still use them sometimes. We
                        have switched, for the most part, to Golden fluid acrylics - and I find
                        that there is a definite difference in quality and "performance" between
                        the 2 brand names. My observations when comparing the two - Ceramcoat
                        paint is not as dense color as Golden - the pigments in ceramcoat paint
                        don't seem to be ground as fine - there is more "contamination" in
                        Ceramcoat (ie. chunks of pigment).....and Ceramcoat "spreadabilty"
                        varies significantly. Mary-Celine Thouin (Stubbs)

                      • susaglenn
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                          I agree with all you've said & I too use Golden Fluids now. The
                          advantage that I see for a beginner to use Ceramcoat is that even
                          though the pigment load is MUCH lower and there's sometimes some
                          glop that needs to be strained out and the paint needs to be stirred
                          up because it has separated from sitting on the shelf for who knows
                          how long, Ceramcoat will give you nice thread quality and won't
                          shatter so easily like the Golden fluids. There's something in there
                          that makes it smooth & easier to work with.

                          On the question about not using GAC 900 on paper: The GAC 900 has to
                          be heat set so the fabric will be washable. If you don't plan to
                          wash your marbled paper you don't need to heat set it. The alum on
                          the paper is going to hold the pigment to the paper fibers. I really
                          don't see why you couldn't use the 900 if you wanted to unless it
                          messes up the archival quality of the paper.

                          The alcohol that I use also helps with pigment problems as it acts
                          as a solvent.

                          Susa Glenn

                          Service.