FW: Yahoo settings

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2003
      Yahoo really has their noses up your butt these days.
      They are now using something called "Web Beacons" to track you around
      the net & see what you are doing.
      Take a look at:

      http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

      Somewhere about halfway down the page, under "Outside the Yahoo!
      Network" there is a tiny little link that lets you opt-out of their
      electronic snooping. I advise everyone to do so immediately if not
      sooner.

      Be Careful NOT to Hit The "cancel out of opt out" button that immediately
      appears, as you have already opted out.

      This is another sleazy way of Yahoo carefully planning the positioning of
      buttons to Con you and benefit them, as a lot of people would naturally hit
      that button thinking it is the opt out Button..SO BEWARE THIS FEATURE!!

      PLEASE NOTE that if you erase or otherwise alter your browser's cookie file
      (including upgrading certain browsers) you may need to perform this process
      again.

      Furthermore, Yahoo allows www.doubleclick.com to track you around as
      well. Doubleclick is one of the companies that does a major amount
      of the advertising on Yahoo. To get their noses out of your business go to:

      http://www.doubleclick.com/us/corporate/privacy/privacy/ad-cookie

      at the bottom of the screen there is a big red button to click
      to stop that nonsense.
      I advise you to do both of these things every now and again to
      refresh the information. Especially if you are in the habit of
      cleaning out your cookies frequently.

    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2003
        Thanks Jake. I'm certain readers here will want to act on your info.
        Which brings me to a discussion of Where will this list go next? I think
        it is only a matter of time before 'free' space is invaded and sectioned up
        and fees installed.
        Was there not to have been some discussion at the conference- about
        some of you from here--going and building a web site --with all the bells
        and whistles?
        Thanx
        Jill