Re: A death

  • mpmh60201 <milena@interaccess.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2003
      So sorry to hear of this passing.
      She was a great scholar and friend of Ebru/Abri marbling.
      Haven't heard of another lecture by her on the subject either.
    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2005
        Greetings everyone,

        I just learned today that Mr. Sarvan Digamber, a marbler in Jaipur
        working in the traditional Indian manner passed away three months ago.
        It is not clear to me if his sons have continued with his work. Mr.
        Digamber was featured in Alexandra Soteriou's beautiful book Gift of
        the Conquerors. The methods he used were very much a continuation of
        the Indian Abri traditions. He employed fenugreek for his size,
        mordanted handmade papers with alum prior to marbling, and made all of
        his colors from pigment. All of these methods are described in the
        18th century manuscript Persian manuscript Khulusat al Mujarrbat
        (Quintessence of Perscriptions). He also made rudimentary combs using
        thorns from the acacia tree. While we not just his work to be of the
        high standards that some profess today, nevertheless, his work was a
        very authentic, ad fully preserved a historical marbling tradition in
        the region.

        Jake Benson
        Benson's Hand Bindery
        Fine Custom Bookbinding, Conservation, & Hand Marbled Papers
        Jake Benson, Proprietor
        1027 Brookwood Circle
        West Columbia, SC 29169
        (803) 926-5544