using stencils, and or multiple layers

  • athena_2547 <athena_2547@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
      Hi all,
      Sorry Ive been a bit of a lurker in the past, but I think this is a
      good point to pose my question. I have been working with
      waterbased pigments on carageen and mostly my own paper,
      but some printmaking papers. Since I am at an art school and
      desperately want to bring marbling into a new light ( since here it
      is seen as merely decorative ) I have been playing around with
      different printmaking techniques ( ex. monoprinting on top of the
      marbled sheet and letting the patterns and freestyle shapes
      suggest what the monprinted image will be) Longing for more
      control I was experimenting with cutting my own stencils out of
      printer paper and gluing them onto the sheet before it is
      marbled. This seemed to work allright until the glue dried and I
      was left with a partially glued stencil with marbling around it.
      Does anyone have any suggestions about glue mixtures that
      would hold to the surface enough to get straight lines, but weak
      enough so I could eventually take the stencil off? I am also
      interested in anyone's experiments in layering different patterns,
      does the surface need to be re- sized inbetween impressions?
      thanks
      ~ Melinda
      ( and to any of you who are also papermakers, Lee McDonald is
      going out of business, sad yes, but if you are in the north east,
      he's having a sale this friday and saturday in MA)
    • Dolores Guffey
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
        Regarding stencils for marbling.

        You can buy Fisket Film (available at Colophon) which looks like contact paper, but has a very low tac. A small roll (10" x 144") costs $16.00, and a large roll (15" x 144") costs $17.95. I found this information on their web site colophon@... . Another suggestion is to buy a stick of 3M repositional glue (about $1.00). This is an adhesvive similar to what is on the back of "Post-it Notes" and does not leave a sticky residue. Read the instructions, and be sure to let the adhesive dry before using as a stencil.

        If you can find any books by Christopher Weiman, he did exquisite examples of Turkish Marbling done with stencils.

        Good luck and have fun experimenting,

        d. guffey

[...]

      • James M Mahoney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
          Hi, Athena -

          I, too, am an artist using marbling as one of my mediums, or in
          combination with other mediums, to produce some of my art pieces. I use
          freezer paper, purchased by roll in the grocery story for about $3 or $4,
          and draw my stencils on the matte (or dull) side of the paper. Cut your
          stencil out, then iron it onto your paper (which should be alumed and
          ready to be marbled) with the slick side toward the paper. This will
          hold long enough to marble the paper, and it will peel off very easily.
          My only hesitation is, I work with acrylics instead of watercolors, but I
          don't think it will make any difference. I learned this from Laura Sims,
          and it is mentioned in the book she and Mimi and Patty Schleicher wrote
          several years ago. I cannot remember the exact title of the book
          (somebody help with the title, please!) as I cannot lay my hands on my
          copy at this moment. I have tried frisket paper and other options, but
          this is the quickest and easiest thing for me and it doesn't damage my
          paper. Hope this works for you.

          (I'm a papermaker, too, Athena, and I wish I could be in Massachusetts
          this weekend!)

          Monita Mahoney

          On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:17:19 -0000 "athena_2547 <athena_2547@...>"
          <athena_2547@...> writes:
          > Hi all,
          > Sorry Ive been a bit of a lurker in the past, but I think this is a
          >
          > good point to pose my question. I have been working with
          > waterbased pigments on carageen and mostly my own paper,
          > but some printmaking papers. Since I am at an art school and
          > desperately want to bring marbling into a new light ( since here it
          >
          > is seen as merely decorative ) I have been playing around with
          > different printmaking techniques ( ex. monoprinting on top of the
          > marbled sheet and letting the patterns and freestyle shapes
          > suggest what the monprinted image will be) Longing for more
          > control I was experimenting with cutting my own stencils out of
          > printer paper and gluing them onto the sheet before it is
          > marbled. This seemed to work allright until the glue dried and I
          > was left with a partially glued stencil with marbling around it.
          > Does anyone have any suggestions about glue mixtures that
          > would hold to the surface enough to get straight lines, but weak
          > enough so I could eventually take the stencil off? I am also
          > interested in anyone's experiments in layering different patterns,
          > does the surface need to be re- sized inbetween impressions?
          > thanks
          > ~ Melinda
          > ( and to any of you who are also papermakers, Lee McDonald is
          > going out of business, sad yes, but if you are in the north east,
          > he's having a sale this friday and saturday in MA)

        • sandy
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
            Try rubber cement or a trick that quilters use. Iron the plastic side of
            freezer paper (found in your local grociery store) to your sheet and
            peel it off after marbling

            sandy
            Fremont, Ca

            Longing for more control I was experimenting with cutting my own
            stencils out of
            printer paper and gluing them onto the sheet before it is
            marbled
            Does anyone have any suggestions about glue mixtures that
            would hold to the surface enough to get straight lines, but weak
            enough so I could eventually take the stencil off
          • Ann Lederer

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2003
                Hi Ann,

                I took a class with Galen Berry and he used something that now that I
                have reread my notes is not rubber cement but "Liquid Frisket". Do a
                search on
                Google and see what comes up.
                As to the freezer paper it has no wax. There is a very thin plastic
                coating on one side of the paper that when ironed to paper or fabric
                sticks lightly. It peels off very easily. Just don't touch your iron to
                the plastic side or you could ruin your iron. And again yes, you cut the
                freezer paper in the shape you want and iron it to whatever you are
                marbling.

                sandy
                Fremont, Ca