Re: [Marbling] Re: pH

  • Gail MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2003
      You have to ask the manufacturer to tell you the PH of their [\products or
      buy a PH meter....just ask: again and again. Toilet better than sink drain.
      Regards, Gail

    • enidadams <enidadams@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2003
        I generally only test the pH of my water and size, with color strip
        paper from Pro Chemical or Bookmakers, and haven't test color pH. I
        have found marbling works best for me with the bath at 6.5 to 7.
        Recently I found my methyl cel dissolved with only one tsp of ammonia
        per 2 gallons and was still within the range so I omitted adding
        vinegar and it seemed to help. pH meters are available from garden
        centers for testing soil.

        Whereas Gail says the Createx colors have a high pH and should have a
        corresponding bath pH, certain colors(like magenta)of other brands
        seem very sensitive to ammonia and start to break up with a high pH.
        I adjust pH of bath only if all colors are misbehaving. If it is just
        one color, I try intermixing it with a more stable one, as Gail
        suggested mixing black with navy.

        Sometimes just diluting the colors with water or clear extender can
        make it all work. This is counterintuitive if you are trying for
        strong colors, but I recently had problems that were solved in this
        way(I had trouble with colors breaking up when they were combed).It
        can be difficult to recognize the right balance, but practice makes
        perfect. Good luck!

        Enid
      • manihunt <manihunt@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2003
          In your last message you said you use a color strip paper to test the
          pH of water and size. Is this the same as litmus paper or pH paper?
          How do you gauge the amount of acidity with the paper?

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "enidadams <enidadams@y...>"

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2 3:16 AM
            Dear Enid,

            Am not sure if you received this message, so resending it.

            In your last message you said you use a color strip paper to test the
            pH of water and size. Is this the same as litmus paper or pH paper?
            How do you gauge the amount of pH in the size with the paper? Tried
            the garden center near me, they don't have pH meters. Tried the
            pharmacy, and they quoted a very high price.

            More confused!!