pH

  • enidadams <enidadams@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 24, 2003
      White vinegar will lower your pH, or make it more acid, while ammonia
      or borax will raise it, or make it alkaline. A very small amount
      makes a big change. I have seen a teaspoon of ammonia raise the pH of
      2 gallons of water from 5 to 8 and each number is 100 times more
      alkaline/acid than the next. Having to readjust too many times seems
      to wack out the colors even more, so it is best to use small
      increments. I now test the water before I add anything, as I have
      found the pH of municipal tap water is highly variable. Finding the
      elusive perfect black and red is always a challenge, and sometimes
      the best ones are mutt mixes of several colors. I have come to think
      of the grainy black as the color "grey flannel".
      Good luck!
      Enid
    • manihunt <manihunt@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2003
        Thanks for that info, Enid. What happens if the pH level of the
        methycel size is higher than the paints? How do you check the pH
        level of the paints? I guess you just mix them with water and check
        with pH paper, or is there another way of doing that?
      • Gail MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2003
          You have to ask the manufacturer to tell you the PH of their [\products or
          buy a PH meter....just ask: again and again. Toilet better than sink drain.
          Regards, Gail

        • enidadams <enidadams@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2003
            I generally only test the pH of my water and size, with color strip
            paper from Pro Chemical or Bookmakers, and haven't test color pH. I
            have found marbling works best for me with the bath at 6.5 to 7.
            Recently I found my methyl cel dissolved with only one tsp of ammonia
            per 2 gallons and was still within the range so I omitted adding
            vinegar and it seemed to help. pH meters are available from garden
            centers for testing soil.

            Whereas Gail says the Createx colors have a high pH and should have a
            corresponding bath pH, certain colors(like magenta)of other brands
            seem very sensitive to ammonia and start to break up with a high pH.
            I adjust pH of bath only if all colors are misbehaving. If it is just
            one color, I try intermixing it with a more stable one, as Gail
            suggested mixing black with navy.

            Sometimes just diluting the colors with water or clear extender can
            make it all work. This is counterintuitive if you are trying for
            strong colors, but I recently had problems that were solved in this
            way(I had trouble with colors breaking up when they were combed).It
            can be difficult to recognize the right balance, but practice makes
            perfect. Good luck!

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2003
              In your last message you said you use a color strip paper to test the
              pH of water and size. Is this the same as litmus paper or pH paper?
              How do you gauge the amount of acidity with the paper?

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "enidadams <enidadams@y...>"

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
                Dear Enid,

                Am not sure if you received this message, so resending it.

                In your last message you said you use a color strip paper to test the
                pH of water and size. Is this the same as litmus paper or pH paper?
                How do you gauge the amount of pH in the size with the paper? Tried
                the garden center near me, they don't have pH meters. Tried the
                pharmacy, and they quoted a very high price.

                More confused!!