IMG 2002

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 20, 2000
      Hello out there,

      I've enjoyed reading the onelist archives of inquiries. This is such a
      wonderful idea. Let me introduce myself. My name is Laura Sims of Indigo
      Stone Marbling Studio and I am heading up the Gathering for 2002. It is
      going to be an exciting event. I wish I could tell you all of the events
      that have been coming together that have affirmed the "go" for this
      symposium. It is most exciting. Of course ONElist is one of them. Diane
      has sent me some names and input for the program...thank you. You are
      welcome to forward them to me now that I am home at indigostone@....

      I've just returned from Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts greatly inspired
      and totally exhausted. While there I had the pleasure of visiting with
      Galen Berry, a marbler from Oaklahoma City,who was teaching with acrylics on
      carragheenan. It was great talking shop and seeing his set up. If you don't
      know about Arrowmont check it out at www.arrowmont.org.

      For those of you who may have run into creative blocks you may want to check
      out "Free Play...Improvisation in Life and Art" by Stephen Nachmanovitch.

      Froming reading some of the emails I understand that there is a broad range
      of skills and experience represented. For those of you who are just
      beginning I am sure you have already been captivated by the magic of the
      technique...well, it just gets better and better.

      Someone asked about supply sources. If you are interested in acrylic
      marbling Earth Guild (1-800-EARTH GU) has a marbling kit. When I get
      Galen's website address I'll share it. Also, Dharma Trading Co. sells
      supplies (1-800-542-5227).

      Enjoy the Magic, Laura
    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2001
        Hello Everyone,

        I have a couple of things to pass on about the International Marblers' Gathering.  At the risk of sounding a bit dramatic I wanted to share some thoughts as we prepare for this event.

        Last night a story teller friend reminded me of a folktale about a man being chased by a tiger.  In desperation he grabbed a vine by a cliff and jumped over the edge. As he desperately   clung to the vine with the tiger above and a deep ravine below, he was startled to see a rat chewing through the vine over his head.  In that moment he saw a ripe red strawberry before him, so... he picked it and savored the sweet taste.

        In the midst of these troubling times as fear and mistrust are being perpetuated on a daily basis, I hope that we recognize the essence of each moment.  The Gathering is taking on more and more significance for me as preparations are being made to bring together so many creative individuals from around the world.  It will be rich.

        Care is being taken to ensure that each person interested in the Gathering has the necessary information.  We are aware that everyone does not have email.  If you are a member of a chapter or organization that publishes a newsletter, please send the email and postal address of the newsletter to indigostone@....  If there is a magazine that would be appropriate for future publications covering the event please email me the information.

        The program brochure for the 2002 Gathering is being prepared.  It will be mailed the end of January.  If you have not registered your address with Marie Palowoda please do so,  marie@....  A while back she put the directory form on this site (I don't know the entry number).  Please get a print-out, complete it and send it to her if you have not already done so.  Registration will begin near the end of February.  There will be no early registrations.  However, there will be a website with online registration to assist the process.

        Since the timing of postal deliveries are more unpredictable now the Planning Board wants you to be aware that there will be a juried exhibition and that you do not have to be present at the Gathering to submit slides.  The exhibition prospectus will be in the brochure.  Up to 3 slides will be due in April 2002 for review, so please be thinking about what you want to submit.  The quality of the slides will be important.  Slides will be retained from accepted work to be used for articles covering the exhibit.  The exhibit will be at Arrowmont from August to early October.  Afterwards it will travel to Asheville to be exhibited at the Folk Art Center (Southern Highland Craft Guild) on the Blue Ridge Parkway October - January 26, 2003.  Items may be for sell (optional) at Arrowmont who will retain 25% of the sell.  We are negotiating with  the Folk Art Center now to see if sells will be possible there.  Please tell anyone that you think might be interested in applying.

        Also we now have an official airline and travel agency.  Delta will give a 5% discount for published round-trip fares and an additional 5% if reservations are made 60 or more days in advance.  There are other terms for the unrestricted round-trip flights.  Flights will be into the Knoxville airport.  You may contact Ashley Averitt at Council Travel by email aaveritt@... or phone: 865-974-9200.  If necessary you may contact Delta directly using the following identifier code: DMN182777A.  Registration for the Gathering will be on September 4 and good-byes will be on Sept. 8.  While budgeting for travel keep in mind that there is a transportation service available from Knoxville to Gatlinburg (45 minute ride) for $25 each way.  Some people may want to take advantage of Gatlinburg being just 2 hours from Asheville, North Carolina.  Asheville is a lovely little city in the mountains filled with interesting sights, turn-of-the-century architecture, exceptional galleries and shops of art and fine craft, good restaurants and diverse entertainment.

        Best Regards,
        Laura Sims, Chairperson IMG 2002

      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 26, 2002
          Hello all,

          Good news, registration brochures are being printed as
          we speak. Also, the web site should be up in another
          week with online registration and a prospectus for the
          juried exhibition. Just as a heads-up, slides for the
          juried exhibition will be due April 25 and conference
          registration begins Feb. 21.

          Best to all,
          Laura

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • del&maryStubbs
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 26, 2002
            Hi Laura -

            A question - my husband and I are leaving for out of state for 10 days
            -this next week, so will likely be gone when the information for the
            conference comes. From your email below - even though you said that
            conference registration begins Feb. 21st - you also mentioned that
            on-line registration and prospectus will be up in about a week.....does
            this mean that on-line registrations could begin before Feb. 21? I
            wanted to be certain we were home when the registrations begin (or try
            to take care of it out of state, if necessary).

            I'm concerned that since there is only space for approx 190 participants
            - that registrations will be filled very fast - like the first morning
            or day....does it look like that's a possiblity?.... since this is an
            international conference with so many folks seeming interested? That's
            all for now - thanks for your replies - I know you must be very
            busy....Sincerely - Mary-Celine Stubbs

            Laura Sims wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > Good news, registration brochures are being printed as
            > we speak. Also, the web site should be up in another
            > week with online registration and a prospectus for the
            > juried exhibition. Just as a heads-up, slides for the
            > juried exhibition will be due April 25 and conference
            > registration begins Feb. 21.
            >
            > Best to all,
            > Laura

          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 20, 2002
              Hello all,

              I wanted to give you a heads up about making plane
              reservations. If you have received an IMG brochure
              you will notice that Delta is the "official" airline
              for the Gathering. The idea of course was to get a
              good discount. I have gotten word from a couple of
              people that Delta is higher than other airlines even
              after the discount. Check around to make sure.

              Best, Laura

              http://sports.yahoo.com
            • Laura Sims
              Message 6 of 13 , May 11, 2002
                Hello all,

                First I just realized I miss read Milena's email
                concerning Jean Marie Seaton's Tribute Books.... To
                clarify we have arranged to display all of her Tribute
                to Modern Masters and will work to display as much of
                the Modern Marblers as possible.

                Preparations are progressing well. If you have not
                registered please try to register before August 1 so
                that we will have a clearer idea of numbers. Also, if
                you teach please let your students know. We have done
                extensive advertising, but would hate to hear that
                someone didn't come simply because they did not know
                about it.

                Registration confirmations are going out. Also
                included are places of interest around Gatlinburg and
                Asheville, North Carolina (1 hour 45 minutes east by
                car).

                Best, Laura

                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                http://launch.yahoo.com
              • Laura Sims
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2002
                  Hello all,

                  With only 2 months until the Gathering I wanted to
                  check in briefly and give you an update.

                  We still have room in registration in case you're
                  wondering if there is still time.

                  We have received a grant from the East Tennessee
                  Foundation and the American Crafts Council to help
                  fund the event... a big help!!!

                  I talked to Jean Marie Seaton about her Tribute Books.
                  She wishes for attendats to hold the books and look
                  at the individual pages. Jean Marie will have a
                  display area in the library where she can present her
                  collection personally.

                  The Tribute Exhibition is going to be intimate, but
                  outstanding. We never dreamed we would get such an
                  enthusiastic response.

                  Of course there will also be an excellent presenters
                  and juried exhibition.

                  The program is set. It will be jammed with slide
                  lectures, demos and evening opportunites for hands-on.
                  Start taking you vitamins.

                  27 US states and 9 countries are represented so far.

                  I have been reading some of the info about some kind
                  of publication. In the end I do not know what form it
                  will take. The goal is to keep the network in tact
                  after the Gathering.

                  Best to all, Laura

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • serra guney
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
                    Dear Mrs. Laura Sims,

                    We are reserving our airplane tickets from now in Istanbul. Since we will go
                    from a long way from to Gatlinburg, we have to use some transfer tickets. It
                    is the best way for us to arrive there one day earlier, 3th of september
                    night. So now we are offering five "one more night" tickets for the
                    following guests;

                    Fusun & Hikmet Barutcugil
                    Sema Balkaya & Halise K�se
                    Ayla Makas & Serra Guney
                    Ozlem Bulut & Gulden Ayboga
                    Ali Sarac (alone)

                    If it is possible, can you please organize us one more night for the 3th
                    september night.

                    Thank you for your kind relationship,

                    Kind Regards
                    Serra Guney

                    >From: Laura Sims <indigostone2@...>
                    >To: marbling@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [Marbling] IMG 2002
                    >Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:02:14 -0700 (PDT)
                    >
                    >Hello all,
                    >
                    >With only 2 months until the Gathering I wanted to
                    >check in briefly and give you an update.
                    >
                    >We still have room in registration in case you're
                    >wondering if there is still time.
                    >
                    >We have received a grant from the East Tennessee
                    >Foundation and the American Crafts Council to help
                    >fund the event... a big help!!!
                    >
                    >I talked to Jean Marie Seaton about her Tribute Books.
                    > She wishes for attendats to hold the books and look
                    >at the individual pages. Jean Marie will have a
                    >display area in the library where she can present her
                    >collection personally.
                    >
                    >The Tribute Exhibition is going to be intimate, but
                    >outstanding. We never dreamed we would get such an
                    >enthusiastic response.
                    >
                    >Of course there will also be an excellent presenters
                    >and juried exhibition.
                    >
                    >The program is set. It will be jammed with slide
                    >lectures, demos and evening opportunites for hands-on.
                    >Start taking you vitamins.
                    >
                    >27 US states and 9 countries are represented so far.
                    >
                    >I have been reading some of the info about some kind
                    >of publication. In the end I do not know what form it
                    >will take. The goal is to keep the network in tact
                    >after the Gathering.
                    >
                    >Best to all, Laura

                    >Sign up for SBC Yahoo! Dial - First Month Free
                    >http://sbc.yahoo.com

                  • Laura Sims
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
                      Dear Serra,

                      I have forwarded your request onto Arrowmont. We will
                      see each of you on September 3.

                      Safe journey, Laura

                      http://sbc.yahoo.com
                    • Laura Sims
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                        Hello all,

                        A brief report of the International Marblers'
                        Gathering will be given soon. Vi Wilson called it out
                        "Marbling Village" since programs, food and housing
                        were all available in one place.

                        It was a rich experience providing satisfaction to
                        those or scholarly interests, as well as to those who
                        are brand new to the experiences of marbling.
                        Presentations were outstanding and the Research and
                        Development Room for trying different products and
                        techniques was a place of enthusiastic chaos.

                        The cook-out on the last night in the Great Smokey
                        Mountains was a perfect ending to an amazing weekend.
                        You haven't seen anything until you've seen Turkish
                        Belly Dancing to Blue Grass Music. We waltzed and
                        circled and twirled until the band packed up. The
                        trolley ride back home was filled with laughter and
                        satisfied yawns.

                        Everyone was clearly lonely for their community/tribe
                        and so happy to be together for a little while.

                        We are very excited to report that there will be a
                        newsletter to help maintain our connections. Money
                        was raised during the auction so that we can now purse
                        a Society of Marbling.

                        Best to you all and if I didn't meet you this time I
                        truely look forward to meeting you in the future.

                        Warm Regards, Laura Sims

                        Yahoo! - We Remember
                        http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
                      • carylhanc@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                          Dear Laura,
                          As one of the participants of the IMG, and a first timer, I was totally awed
                          by the job that you and your Planning Board did! Your job of organization
                          left nothing undone from my viewpoint. I certainly agree with Vi's comment
                          about a Marbling Village at Arrowmont, because the inhabitants of that
                          Village became a Community in every sense of the word.
                          Whenever I started to form a question about what was going on, all I had to
                          do was thumb through the booklet, and there was the answer. I especially
                          liked the synopses of the lectures and demos. That made it possible to
                          really listen to the verbal presentation.
                          The barbecue was an incredible finale to the Gathering - the food was great
                          and the setting and music really provided a touch of Tennessee.
                          I can only begin to guess the man/woman hours that went into the planning,
                          and hope that your Board has had a chance to sit down relax and catch a nap
                          or two.
                          Please extend my thanks to the staff at Arrowmont as well - the food was
                          great, and everyone was courteous and seemed on top of whatever situation
                          arose.
                          And to you, Laura, hats off and thanks again!
                          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 11, 2002
                            Yes......wonderful.....Can we do it again next week???? LOL!!

                            It felt, by the last day, that I had lived there for a long time and was
                            sorry to have to leave. All that was missing were my doggies......And
                            Phoebe Easton, I wish you could have been there, we missed you terribly.

                            So many friends from all over the world, and new friends. Meeting people I
                            had spoken to for many years but never met, Like Nancy Morains, Ingrid
                            Weimann, many others. Meeting new kindred spirits, not only in regards to
                            marbling, but similar life experiences....(you may know who you are!).
                            Marblers I had long admired but never had met such as Hikmet, Nedim
                            Sonmez......

                            Meeting new friends who did not even speak English....Montse Buxo from
                            Spain, who was next to me at the portfolio sale....if you can read this in
                            English, I think you are the next marbling superstar, and a delightful
                            person.....I gave you a mention in the Guild Of Bookworkers Journal and
                            hope it does you some good business-wise.

                            Hikmet, Jake and Patty...your tiles are now displayed in my studio. I gave
                            my own tile to a good friend who loved it ....with the condition I can look
                            at it and remember the fun I had making the tile with you, Jim Currier.
                            Great to see former students who are now excellent marblers, great to see
                            the demos and how people work. It was like being at the very core of
                            creativity, it was very intense.

                            And.....Vi......I am so happy you won the wonderful book!! It will be so
                            happy with you.You are right...it did need to go to Australia! That was
                            something to remember!

                            If any of you are passing through New Jersey/New York area....please call!

[...]

                          • V. Wilson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 14, 2002
                              You were such a gracious under-bidder Iris! Your congratulatory hug meant
                              a great deal. I arrived home this morning, and the book arrived safely
                              too. The man at Quarantine in Sydney showed more than passing interest in
                              it - think he thought the boards were wood, (hope they were not, Jake!)
                              While I was visiting with the Guyots, we paid a visit to Nancy, and Eileen
                              Canning was there too, so both their signatures are now in the book. Mimi
                              - I know you signed your piece, but somehow I missed getting your signature
                              on the page. Sorry!! Guess I will just have to haul the book to the next
                              Gathering!

                              And I would like to add my sincere thanks and warmest congratulations to
                              everyone involved in the organization of the Gathering. It was truly a
                              mammoth effort. The sense of community and sharing were wonderful, and I
                              doubt that anyone was disappointed - except those who for one reason or
                              another were unable to attend. Sincere thanks also to Arrowmont staff for
                              providing such great food and facilities.

                              One of the highlights was being able to see first hand the incredible
                              Modern Marblers folios which Jean-Marie Seaton worked on so lovingly for so
                              many years. A person of half her years would have been hard pressed to
                              produce a more beautiful tribute to marbling. Truly magnificent. Bravo,
                              Jean-Marie!

                              Best wishes
                              Vi Wilson