Re: [Marbling] Createx Paints

  • Gail MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2003
      About Createx.....try putting the black on first to push it. Also, try
      mixing it with their navy blue: you still get get but it doesn¹t get so
      grainy. The red is impossible. I just worked on a new product line with
      Ruppert, Gibbon and Spider who bought the French company Versetex. They
      have put out a line of pigments especially for marbling. The red is
      fantastic!! Depending on how the marbling muses govern in your space, put
      it down first or last. Whatever, you¹ll end up with a fantastic red!! Best
      wishes, Gail

    • manihunt <manihunt@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
        Thanks Gail for the info. Tried putting the black first, and that's
        when the grains start showing. If I put it last, it does grain, but
        since it does not spread as much, it's not so noticeable. Ahhh, just
        when you've got the methycel temperament worked out right and the
        alum soak was perfect, the colors had to go wrong!!!!! Haha. Pity we
        don't get all the brands where I live, even finding Createx was
        lucky. Will try working with normal acrylic paints and see what
        happens!!
      • Gail MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
          Another thought...especially about Createx black. If the Ph of your methyl
          cell mix and the paints you are using are very different, yes, the black is
          the first to go grainy. Createx has a high Ph, around 8.5. Get some Ph
          tape and measure your mc mix. You can bring up the Ph with white vinegar.
          Good luck!

        • manihunt <manihunt@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
            About PH, if I increase it for the mc mix, how will it affect the
            other colors?

            Does your red turn pink too after printing the pattern?
          • Gail MacKenzie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
              > About PH, if I increase it for the mc mix, how will it affect the
              > other colors?
              >
              > Does your red turn pink too after printing the pattern?
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              You are increasing the PH of the methyl cel mix to closer match the PH of
              the createx colors. Go for about 8.5. But, you can experiment. Anywhere
              from 6 to 9. Whatever gives you the best results and stops the black from
              being grainy...remember about adding some of the deep blue to the black for
              better color saturation. The hardness of your water will also make a
              difference. Also, be sure that the temperature of your pigments is the same
              as the methyl cel mix...or pretty close. Old methyl cel will also cause the
              black to break up and be grainy.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2003
                Usually a red turning pink when you print is because the color is heavier
                than the water. Thin it out or dispersant added may help keep more of the
                true color afloat....especially true of cad.reds. High specific gravity.
                Just my humble experience. Learned the hard way :-(

                I have also had trouble with Createx.
                Iris Nevins
                www.marblingpaper.com