Createx Paints

  • manihunt <manihunt@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2003
      Hi all,
      New to marbling and still dabbling in it. I use the Createx Airbrush
      colors, but somehow the red and black comes out grainy. Any idea why
      this is happening? TIA
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2003
        About Createx.....try putting the black on first to push it. Also, try
        mixing it with their navy blue: you still get get but it doesn¹t get so
        grainy. The red is impossible. I just worked on a new product line with
        Ruppert, Gibbon and Spider who bought the French company Versetex. They
        have put out a line of pigments especially for marbling. The red is
        fantastic!! Depending on how the marbling muses govern in your space, put
        it down first or last. Whatever, you¹ll end up with a fantastic red!! Best
        wishes, Gail

      • manihunt <manihunt@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
          Thanks Gail for the info. Tried putting the black first, and that's
          when the grains start showing. If I put it last, it does grain, but
          since it does not spread as much, it's not so noticeable. Ahhh, just
          when you've got the methycel temperament worked out right and the
          alum soak was perfect, the colors had to go wrong!!!!! Haha. Pity we
          don't get all the brands where I live, even finding Createx was
          lucky. Will try working with normal acrylic paints and see what
          happens!!
        • Gail MacKenzie
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
            Another thought...especially about Createx black. If the Ph of your methyl
            cell mix and the paints you are using are very different, yes, the black is
            the first to go grainy. Createx has a high Ph, around 8.5. Get some Ph
            tape and measure your mc mix. You can bring up the Ph with white vinegar.
            Good luck!

          • manihunt <manihunt@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
              About PH, if I increase it for the mc mix, how will it affect the
              other colors?

              Does your red turn pink too after printing the pattern?
            • Gail MacKenzie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
                > About PH, if I increase it for the mc mix, how will it affect the
                > other colors?
                >
                > Does your red turn pink too after printing the pattern?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                You are increasing the PH of the methyl cel mix to closer match the PH of
                the createx colors. Go for about 8.5. But, you can experiment. Anywhere
                from 6 to 9. Whatever gives you the best results and stops the black from
                being grainy...remember about adding some of the deep blue to the black for
                better color saturation. The hardness of your water will also make a
                difference. Also, be sure that the temperature of your pigments is the same
                as the methyl cel mix...or pretty close. Old methyl cel will also cause the
                black to break up and be grainy.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2003
                  Usually a red turning pink when you print is because the color is heavier
                  than the water. Thin it out or dispersant added may help keep more of the
                  true color afloat....especially true of cad.reds. High specific gravity.
                  Just my humble experience. Learned the hard way :-(

                  I have also had trouble with Createx.
                  Iris Nevins
                  www.marblingpaper.com