Re: handmade papers for marbling

  • sixshort <sixshort@yahoo.com.au>
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2002
      Hi Tom, I too began with papermaking, and then fell headlong into the
      ocean of marbling, from which I have not yet quite surfaced. I found
      that my own handmade paper, made from cotton linter or recycled
      paper,marbled well using watercolour paints or gouaches on un-alumed
      papers. I liked the silky texture of these papers, but the colours
      were rather faded, no doubt due to the absence of alum.
      Purchased "handmade" papers from India, made from recycled T-shirts,
      and other machine "handmade" papers were another kettle of fish. No
      matter what preparation I tried, the paints peeled off the papers as
      they were lifted from the size - what I referred to as "bubbles" in
      previous correspondence. I have not yet tried Jake Benson's
      suggestion to re-hydrate the papers overnight between damp sheets of
      blotting paper, with weights on top, then to alum and marble the
      papers. I too will be very interested to hear of others' success or
      failure in marbling handmade papers. Joan Ajala